Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on closing cards while rebuilding

tag
805orbust
Valued Contributor

Re: Need Advice on closing cards while rebuilding

@Anonymous wrote:
Close the subprime cards. If I were in your shoes I would have it done it yesterday! Those subprime cards will not grow with you and some lenders might hold it against you. I had discover tell me they couldn't approve me because of a low limit secured card, again ymmv.

But you got some nice cards with no annual fees and just keep those. Even closed they won't hurt your score and in 61 days you can request a 3x CLI with Amex and make up for the loss of available credit from the subprime close out

Really?!!  They didn't like that, huh?  Crazy.  I actually forgot about the whole CLI with Amex.  That really works, huh?  Man that would be great.  I'm all about the "No annual fee" thing. 

Btw, scores never took a hit with this last spree until the Total Rewards reported 10 days after I received the card.  My Utilization was 70%... they caught me off guard with that one :-)

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, it was the third reason out of three. Do have three baddies on my report so that did play a part in it, but to mention it on a recon I was kinda shocked about
Message 12 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

That 3x Amex increase will be something to look forward to. I'd have no problem closing the subprime cards.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.