cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice on disputing with Original Creditors.

tag
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Need Advice on disputing with Original Creditors.

I am disputing information with a credit card company. When I send my dispute do I have to send proof of ID? Do I have to sign the letter? Does anyone know exactly what I must send with the letter to have it verified correctly?

What exactly can I require them to send me as proof that I own the account under the FCRA?

This is an account listed on my report that I had no knowledge of, so I don't have any documents to send to them..

Thanks.

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Advice on disputing with Original Creditors.

This is actually an assertion of potential identity theft.  I would support it in the same manner as set forth in FCRA 605B, which is a request for blockage of the infromation from your credit report based on potential identity theft..  I would send a police report as supporting documentation, along with proof of your identity, and a statement that the account is not yours.You could also send a blockage letter to the CRA under FCRA 605B, but I would first file a direct dispute with the OC under FCRA 623(a)(8) before mucking up your CR with an identity theft blockage under FCRA 605B.

Suggested letter of direct dispute:

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8) and 16 CFR 660.4.

The account and associated information disputed is: [  ]

The basis for my dispute is that I declare that I have never opened or authorized the above-referenced account . Accoringly, I state that the account does not relate to any transaction ever authroized by or relating to me.  This is not my account. 

I have no way of proving the negative, so cannot supply information to establish that I never authorized or entered into an agreement with you for this account.   Accordingly, I request that you provide verification in the form of a copy of an account agreement authorized by me that establishes this account with you.

I recognize that this dispute is tantamount to an assertion of potential identify theft.  Accordingly, in order to adequately support my dispute, I am enclosing a police/identity theft report  (FCRA 603(q)) as sworn statement before a law enforcement agency. 

Your investigation of this dispute, and your reporting back to me of the results, is required to be completed within 30-days of this notice per FCRA 623(a)(8)(E)(iii).  In the event that verification of my authorization of this account cannot be provided, I request prompt reporting to the credit reporting agencies of its deletion from my credit file.

Sincerely,

Message 2 of 3
randaljon
Regular Contributor

Re: Need Advice on disputing with Original Creditors.

Thanks for the help I will include this in my letter to them. Thanks~

Starting Scores(Jan/2011): EQ 564 TU 538 EXP 576
Current Score: EQ 692 TU 728 EXP 710 (Quizzle FAKO)Goal Score: 720

Wallet: Grow Visa 500, Capital One MC 2000, Capital One MC 1250, Paypal MC 3000, Jared 10500, Kay 2000, Walmart 2050, TJX Rewards 1200
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.