Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice...

tag
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Need Advice...

Here's my situation:

I have cleaned up my reports as much as I can for now, but I have some baddies that are just going to have to age off unless I can get some goodwill:

EX & EQ = 1 Paid CO & 9 Paid Collections (all from 2010-2011)

TU = 1Paid CO & 1 Paid Collection reporting to TU (both from 2011)

As for positive TL, I have a CapOne card with $1000 limit and an auto loan reporting to all three CRA's.  I was just approved for a CapOne Quicksilver (3K limit)  that will start reporting to all three CRA's as well.  I was also just approved for another auto loan through my company CU that will start reporting to TU only.   That gives me 3 open TL's reporting to EQ & EX, and 4 open TL's reporting to TU.

My question is, should I just garden these accounts for awhile or would I be better off picking up another credit card or two for more positive TL's?

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice...

@KellyP25721 wrote:

Here's my situation:

I have cleaned up my reports as much as I can for now, but I have some baddies that are just going to have to age off unless I can get some goodwill:

EX & EQ = 1 Paid CO & 9 Paid Collections (all from 2010-2011)

TU = 1Paid CO & 1 Paid Collection reporting to TU (both from 2011)

As for positive TL, I have a CapOne card with $1000 limit and an auto loan reporting to all three CRA's.  I was just approved for a CapOne Quicksilver (3K limit)  that will start reporting to all three CRA's as well.  I was also just approved for another auto loan that will start reporting to TU only.   The that gives me 3 open TL's reporting to EQ & EX, and 4 open TL's reporting to TU.

My question is, should I just garden these accounts for awhile or would I be better off picking up another credit card or two for more positive TL's?

I would get 1 more revolving bankcard to make it a total of 3 and it should not be with Cap-1.

Message 2 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

That's the way I was leaning but I just want to be careful with what I app for.  My scores are starting to come up and I don't want to go app crazy and get dinged for the inquiries.  

Starting Score: 573 (EX Faco) | Current Scores: EX(Fico) 674, EQ(Fico) 668, TU(Fico) 691
Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You can always see if you can get a pre-approval at one of the cards websites you are interested in.  It would only be a SP.  If you are you could apply (HP).  No guarantees for actual approval however.

Message 4 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Any feeling for the likelihood that a pre-approval gets approved?  50/50?  75?

Message 5 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

When I app'd for the Cap1 QuickSilver and was approved, I went ahead and app'd for a Chase Freedom card at the same time and called the recon line right away.  The lady I spoke to was very nice, but said that TU was still showing the CO as unpaid and I could reapply when that gets updated.  She said that it still might get denied, but I would most likely get approved if I call in again.   My questions is, would I be better off waiting until the new $3K Cap1 card reports too before reapplying?

Message 6 of 7
KellyP25721
Frequent Contributor

Well, I called Chase this morning to recon for a second time.  They said that they really wanted to see another credit card with 2-3 years of history before they could approve me, which seems a little long.  I app'd for Barclay's this morning and was approved for $2K after answering a couple questions about the reasons for the derog's from pre-2011.  So now that gives me 3CC's reporting and 2 installment loans (car & motorcycle).  So I guess it's time to garden for awhile and watch things grow!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.