Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice

tag
luckydiva95
New Contributor

Need Advice

I really want to get rid of my Credit One Card soon, just afraid to do it because it's my oldest credit line. I opened it in 08. I currently have high utilization on that card only. I plan to pay the balance in full at the end of the month. My overall utilization is 22%. I highly use my Capital one cards and only let it report less than 5% when statement cuts. I have 3 collections on my reports: AT&T open since 2013 with ERC, old HSBC acct with Calvary Portfolio open since 2012, and Continental Finance with Federal Pacific open since 2014. The Continental Finance collection is frustrating because the balance keeps updating. I want to apply for Discover IT or better card to replace Credit One. Should I pay Credit One in full & pay off all of the collections to get them deleted or updated as paid in full before I apply for a different card? My scores are decent now from where I started. All of my cards and car loan are in good standing and reported as never late, except for Credit One. I was between jobs and it's reporting as 150 day late from 2012. I really want to get my scores boosted as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciated in which direction I should go.

Capital One QS $8,000| Credit one $3,150| Capital One Secured $500| Barclay View $6,250| Amazon Chase $2,700| Discover It $12,100| AMEX Everyday Preferred $15,000| Wells Fargo Active Cash $7,500| AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,900| Apple Card $4,000| Best Buy Visa $5,000| Citi Custom Cash $6,500| Chase Sapphire Preferred $9,500|Chase Unlimited Freedom $9100
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Duke84
Regular Contributor

Re: Need Advice

I would recommend doing PFD with the collections if possible. If there are open/reporting, I don't think that Discover is even going to extend credit.

I've never had Credit One since starting my rebuilding, but from what I hear, they are horrible. What are your scores? Maybe you could get a card through a credit union as the replacement for the Credit One. I'm sure the interest rate from a CU would be much better than Credit One.
Starting Score: EQ: 537, TU: 488, EX: 558 (8/2014)
Current F8 Score: EQ: 733, TU: 734, EX: 709 (4/2023)

Current Cards:

Store Cards:
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off and close out the Credit One account. Don't sweat it being your oldest account, as it will continue to add to you AAoA for ten more years. I would suggest apping for Barclays Reward MC, they are pretty easy to get if you have a decent payment history going back 1-2 years.

If the OCs reporting the charge offs are showing balances on charged off revolving accounts, those will hurt your current UTI%, and should be settled as soon as possible.

Message 3 of 4
luckydiva95
New Contributor

I'm going to focus on paying off all of the collections and try getting them off my report.

Capital One QS $8,000| Credit one $3,150| Capital One Secured $500| Barclay View $6,250| Amazon Chase $2,700| Discover It $12,100| AMEX Everyday Preferred $15,000| Wells Fargo Active Cash $7,500| AMEX Blue Cash Preferred $17,900| Apple Card $4,000| Best Buy Visa $5,000| Citi Custom Cash $6,500| Chase Sapphire Preferred $9,500|Chase Unlimited Freedom $9100
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.