Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice

tag
delta98
Established Member

Need Advice

The situation is a collection account from Portfolio Recovery Associates that I was finally  successful in getting removed or so I thought. In January I received a letter from PRA stating that they had concluded their investigation and they were closing the account and removing the tradeline from their records. They also said they had sent the Universal Data Form to the CRA's instructing them to remove the tradeline from my reports. Please wait up to 60 days for this to happen. Now here it is 75 days later and the collection is gone from EX and TU but still shows on EQ. So I contacted PRA and they assured me they have removed the account from their records, they emailed me the Universal Data Form and another letter stating that the account is closed and removed from their records.  I then contacted EQ to ask why it had not been removed from my report. The rep I spoke with said "We have no document for that" Fax us the UDA, removal letter and a copy of your DL and SS card so we know it is you. I did exactly as they requested and faxed every thing to the number they gave me.  Now I get an alert that there is a change to my EQ file, I think great, they have removed the account but instead of the account being removed the alert says "' an account on your report is being re-investigated"  So I call EQ and ask why a re-investigation it has been investigated and found to be in error the CA sent the UDA to have it removed, please remove it. The EQ rep then tells me " Equifax doesn't have the ability to remove a tradeline that is up to the data furnisher. We have contacted them to request they remove it and we are waiting for their response.That is why the account is marked as re-investigation, because we have to wait for them to repond." 

Now my question is, is that true? I thought the CRA's actually did the deletion once the CA's or Oc's said to delete or if the CA's didn't repond to validation request. What happens next? PRA is pretty much done with me. Their last letter made it clear that they hae done what they said they would do and have no control over what the CRA's do or don't do and when they do it.  Am I at the mercy of EQ and do I have to wait another 30 days for them to re-investigate this account?

Any advice and/or help is appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Advice

@delta98 wrote:

The situation is a collection account from Portfolio Recovery Associates that I was finally  successful in getting removed or so I thought. In January I received a letter from PRA stating that they had concluded their investigation and they were closing the account and removing the tradeline from their records. They also said they had sent the Universal Data Form to the CRA's instructing them to remove the tradeline from my reports. Please wait up to 60 days for this to happen. Now here it is 75 days later and the collection is gone from EX and TU but still shows on EQ. So I contacted PRA and they assured me they have removed the account from their records, they emailed me the Universal Data Form and another letter stating that the account is closed and removed from their records.  I then contacted EQ to ask why it had not been removed from my report. The rep I spoke with said "We have no document for that" Fax us the UDA, removal letter and a copy of your DL and SS card so we know it is you. I did exactly as they requested and faxed every thing to the number they gave me.  Now I get an alert that there is a change to my EQ file, I think great, they have removed the account but instead of the account being removed the alert says "' an account on your report is being re-investigated"  So I call EQ and ask why a re-investigation it has been investigated and found to be in error the CA sent the UDA to have it removed, please remove it. The EQ rep then tells me " Equifax doesn't have the ability to remove a tradeline that is up to the data furnisher. We have contacted them to request they remove it and we are waiting for their response.That is why the account is marked as re-investigation, because we have to wait for them to repond." 

Now my question is, is that true? I thought the CRA's actually did the deletion once the CA's or Oc's said to delete or if the CA's didn't repond to validation request. What happens next? PRA is pretty much done with me. Their last letter made it clear that they hae done what they said they would do and have no control over what the CRA's do or don't do and when they do it.  Am I at the mercy of EQ and do I have to wait another 30 days for them to re-investigate this account?

Any advice and/or help is appreciated.

Wait for the re-investigation to complete. They have to inquire as the UDA could have been forged. If they do not delete then I would file a CFPB complaint against PRA since they would have to verify it for it to remain on file.

Message 2 of 3
delta98
Established Member

Re: Need Advice

Thank you for the advice, that is what I will do then, just wait it out. Not sure why they didn't remove it when the others did but we'll see how this works out.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.