Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Advice

I am not sure where to start. I guess I will give a short background. In 2010 my husband and I did a chapter 7 bk. About 4 months aftwards my husband was able to get a 3 cap one cards. That was rebuilding his scores quite nicely.  In his line of work there are periods of dead time. Meaning there is no work. So there were times where he was late on cc. As of right now he has 2 or 3 collections ( 1 helzberg 1) medical and 1) from a college. Starting in last July I was able to get a car loan (with a co signer)  Since then I have been able to get a few more cards. I have a cap 1 plat. 1300, a q1s 300 ( in credit steps I believe in july I will graduate) a walmart 800, Old navy 700, toys R us 400 Kohls 300.. and a few more cards. 

My question is my scores are coming along quite nicely. I have a 654 exqifax 692  TU and 683 ex. My husbands scores are still in the low to mid 500's.  I have made him an AU on a most of my accounts.  My question is what more can I do to help my husband? We signed up for credit restoration and I know they have been working on stuff and everything that was negitive is off of my report. However I am not seeing anything for my husband. We were trying to get a mortgage this year, however right now I am not sure if that can happen.

What should our next step be? We have to be out of apartment by 7-31.  I am have a bad feeling we are going to be renting a house again, but it is what it is.  I am looking for ideas how to help the hubby. 

As always thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

Re: Need Advice

I see no chance to get a mortgage with his credit the way it is...

The credit restoration is a ripoff... all they do is dispute items on your report.  You can do that yourself for free.

Dealing with the collections and starting a GW campaign is his best bet.  The late payments and collections AFTER the BK7 don't help either. You said he was out of work?  Did he not get unemployment?  A $25 minimum CC payment wasn't possible?

A rebound from this for him is going to take some time.  Just being honest...

You seem to be on the right track though!

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the balances on his cards? When and how bad were the lates?

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

He was not able to get unemployment Smiley Sad,  Right now all credit card blances for him at 0. We have been using them and paying them off. At the time his credit went down the ecom. in Michigan was horrible. There was no work and we needed food on the table.  

and what is a GW letter?? I have no clue what that is

thanks for the help

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

He was not able to get unemployment Smiley Sad,  Right now all credit card blances for him at 0. We have been using them and paying them off. At the time his credit went down the ecom. in Michigan was horrible. There was no work and we needed food on the table.  

thanks for the help

Let one card report a small balance of about 5% of its credit limit. Use the cards a lot and pay them down frequently. You should establish a $1000 "emergency fund" that you can use as a buffer to make minimum payments during his "down times", to help prevent future lates.

How old and how bad are the lates?

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks for the help

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.