Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Credit Advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Credit Advice

Hello all!

I have been lurking for a while now and I would love to thank you for all of your advice I have several deletions, but here is my problem

My score isn't going anywhere!!!

So I was told to try to establish some revolving credit, which is something that I have never had. I have never owned a credit card. I got denied by everyone including retail cards. So I stopped applying, since I'm getting so many hard inquries and I'm trying to fix my credit and not make it worse. A friend of mine who has an AMEX card agreed to put me on her account as an AU but I just won't get a card since she uses it regularly.

I am still working on obtaining my FICO scores but from the TU site my score is a 612, on Experian its 577 and Equifax is 566. I know those are super low and sucks but I have no idea what I can do to raise those. I currently have my student loans and car note are in good standing, I had a repossession from several years ago that was deleted from my TU and Experian but still on EQ. Now I only have about $400 in collections which are currently being disputed. I came into some money and established a CD and a savings account and paid off any debt that I had except for that $400 which isn't mine. I also had an eviction that should not have been there and I was able to prove that so it was deleted as well.  

What can I do to establish some revolving credit?

My goal is to be able to purchase a home in 3 years, maybe a new car in 5, and really just better credit.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Credit Advice

You need to apply for secured 'starter cards'. Capital One offers them, as does OpenSky (high fees) and CreditOne (high fees but not as bad). You might also open an account with SDFCU and get a secured card and/or secured loan from them.

Your scores are not nearly as bad as some. When I purchased a car in August, I was sitting at high 490's to low 500's. Now sitting at 550'ish.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You state that the reported collection of $400 is not yours.

Are you willing to put that statement on record in a police report?  If so, you can get the collection immediately blocied from your credit report, and thus removed from scoring.

FCRA 605B.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would be willing to do that. Its from 2008 and its a medical bill from a state that I have never lived in. I contacted the clinic but they are closed. I contacted the collection agency but they were rude so I disputed it. Right now its still pending but it really just sits there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.