cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help - Credit Card Problem - do I need an attorney?

tag
madredejames
Established Member

Re: Need Help - Credit Card Problem - do I need an attorney?

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Some folks might not agree with me, but I think this is the type of situation the EO numbers and social media were designed for.

One of those is bound to get results, one way or another.  Smiley Wink

I was thinking the exact thing! Contact someone in both EOs office. What ever you do, DO NOT wait this out!

Sorry to be dense here, but what are EO offices? I am drawing a blank on that one. I already told a manager at Barclay's that I was going to share my story all over social media. They didn't care.

Message 11 of 22
madredejames
Established Member

@Cotton_Britches wrote:
1. File a complaint with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, or OCC immediately. They regulate federally chartered banks: http://www.helpwithmybank.gov/complaints/index-file-a-bank-complaint.html

2. File a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau:http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

3. Search nolo.com for an attorney in your area that specializes in consumer law or banking law.

Great advice - exactly the kinds of things I was looking for. Thank you!

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Some folks might not agree with me, but I think this is the type of situation the EO numbers and social media were designed for.

I was thinking the exact thing! Contact someone in both EOs office. What ever you do, DO NOT wait this out!

Sorry to be dense here, but what are EO offices? I am drawing a blank on that one. I already told a manager at Barclay's that I was going to share my story all over social media. They didn't care.

EO=Executive Office

Message 13 of 22
madredejames
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

Okay, so I search for the Executive Office of each credit card co. (Barclay and Capital One) and attempt to reach someone in that office?

Message 14 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

+1

Use the EO (Executive Office) contact info provided in the myFICO sticky threads, and if you haven't already, I would be all over Twitter/Facebook... just because the CSR you spoke with didn't seem to care doesn't mean the social media team with Barclay's will feel the same way.  Smiley Wink

Also, a quick hint... sometimes lots of information is quite helpful (like when posting here!), but other times it just confuses matters.  If it were me, when talking/writing to the EO/social media teams, I would simply state that the BT was backed out by Capital One and returned... it's really of no consequence at this point why it happened (the confusion over eligibility for a BT).  You need them to concentrate their efforts on where your money is, not on why/if you were eligible to begin with.  Smiley Wink

If at some point they offer to "resubmit" the BT, simply tell them you've already paid the other account in full, and the BT is no longer necessary.

Message 15 of 22
madredejames
Established Member

never mind - got it :-) Found the address for Barclay EO. They are about to get an on-paper earful.

Message 16 of 22
madredejames
Established Member

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

+1

Use the EO (Executive Office) contact info provided in the myFICO sticky threads, and if you haven't already, I would be all over Twitter/Facebook... just because the CSR you spoke with didn't seem to care doesn't mean the social media team with Barclay's will feel the same way.  Smiley Wink

Also, a quick hint... sometimes lots of information is quite helpful (like when posting here!), but other times it just confuses matters.  If it were me, when talking/writing to the EO/social media teams, I would simply state that the BT was backed out by Capital One and returned... it's really of no consequence at this point why it happened (the confusion over eligibility for a BT).  You need them to concentrate their efforts on where your money is, not on why/if you were eligible to begin with.  Smiley Wink

If at some point they offer to "resubmit" the BT, simply tell them you've already paid the other account in full, and the BT is no longer necessary.

Awesome. Thank you!!!!!! Great tips.

Message 17 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@madredejames wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

Okay, so I search for the Executive Office of each credit card co. (Barclay and Capital One) and attempt to reach someone in that office?

I would concentrate on Barclays for now... once Capital One rejected/returned the BT, that put the onus back on Barclays to make you whole.  Capital One has already provided you all the information they likely have regarding the returned funds; it's now up to Barclays to find where they credited it. 

Worse-case scenario, you could simply dispute the BT transaction with Barclays and make them research the entire turn of events, which would likely be successful (eventually) however it would probably be more efficient to go through social media/EO (you'll probably get more seasoned CSRs).

Good luck whatever you decide!

Message 18 of 22
madredejames
Established Member

@UncleB wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

I would concentrate on Barclays for now... once Capital One rejected/returned the BT, that put the onus back on Barclays to make you whole.  Capital One has already provided you all the information they likely have regarding the returned funds; it's now up to Barclays to find where they credited it. 

Worse-case scenario, you could simply dispute the BT transaction with Barclays and make them research the entire turn of events, which would likely be successful (eventually) however it would probably be more efficient to go through social media/EO (you'll probably get more seasoned CSRs).

That makes sense. Thank you, Uncle B. I am drafting my letter to Barclay EO right now. Also, by dispute, do you mean disputing the charge with the three credit bureaus? (TU, EX and EQ?) Thanks so much - you have been so helpful!

Message 19 of 22
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@madredejames wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@madredejames wrote:

@LadyJEsq wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

EO=Executive Office

That makes sense. Thank you, Uncle B. I am drafting my letter to Barclay EO right now. Also, by dispute, do you mean disputing the charge with the three credit bureaus? (TU, EX and EQ?) Thanks so much - you have been so helpful!

In this case I mean dispute the BT itself directly with Barclays... similar to how you would dispute a charge on your statement that you didn't initiate.  It's not right that they are trying to hold you responsible for funds that were returned back to them.

However, I would definitely try the EO/social media channels first, though, and only dispute the BT itself as a last-resort, since it would probably be the most drawn-out way to reach resolution. 

I'm really thinking the social media route would be the fastest route to resolution; once you contact them on social media, it's likely someone from their EO team will reach out to you.  Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.