Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help, Riddled with Anxiety

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Help, Riddled with Anxiety

Okay, I shall do that tomorrow.  What do I do with the information. For instance. If there is a negative hit on my report and the debt has been paid off?  How do you handle something that is truthful as opposed to other things that may not be

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay, I shall do that tomorrow.  What do I do with the information. For instance. If there is a negative hit on my report and the debt has been paid off?  How do you handle something that is truthful as opposed to other things that may not be

I would suggest you just sit back and spend the next two weeks just reading all of the messages here in this forum to get a feel for things.

Message 22 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for your assistance.  You know, I sit back at work sometimes betweel calls for service and wonder, how bad is it, really, in the grand schemes of things.  Yeah, my credit has dropped, and people who dont know me, or know my trials and tribulations are judging me and passing judgement.  Im merely a single person in the vast population, some better, some worse off in the credit line but I do have a lot to be thankful for.  I have a great family, who raised me well which is why I want to take this head on.  Then I run into this forums, where I can feel welcome and not bashed, joked, ridiculed or blacklisted for issues I have had.  With that being said, THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me begin this path. 

Now, I will read other questions and comments, some that may help me, some that may not, but its still knowledge and ill be better off for that, as well as be able to pass on that knowledge.  My other question, aside from the credit card I recently aquired, is what store brand cards are pretty easy to get.  I dont want a store card to a place I never go or cant use to simply spend money I wouldnt normally.  Im an avid outdoorsman, a shadetree mechanic, hands on kind of guy.

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what it's worth, I'm really impressed with how much you are taking care of your family and working so hard, part time and all that. Don't get too stressed. It takes time. Read a lot of the forum in "Rebuilding My Credit." Since I started analyzing my credit, taking it step by step, our score has GREATLY improved. If you focus and don't have too many recent derogatories (within the past 2 years) and work on it -- hopefully you could get your score up into the 600's. Like everyone said, just save this thread and everyone's advice and after you get your reports -- read and re-read it and start implementing. It takes time to wrap your mind around it all.

**IMPO** When dealing with collections and/or charge offs etc -- make sure you negotiate with them that when you pay it off -- they will DELETE it off your credit report. It's called "Pay For Delete" or PFD. There are threads on here how to do this. Some of the best advice I read on here is : 1. Don't give Up. 2. Know Your Enemy. 3. Keep trying and trying. For example, Midland claims or says that won't do PFDs but most will but you have to negotiate it ahead of time. Usually you also have to pay in one lump sum as well.

IMHO, I'd be careful getting credit cards just for your score sake. Make sure you can manage them and aren't likely to run them up. It depends on different people's personalities.

Don't worry about "judgement" in this economy, especially. It's hard but sometimes it just happens because you haven't had time to focus on it or LEARN. Knowledge is power. Good luck!

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Along with the others, I would agree that getting your free annual report is critical.   Some people like getting one report every 4 months.  I like the TarnsUnion (TU) report because it clearly shows when the derog will fall off your report.

I would also suggest considering joining another CU, like DCU or SDFCU or Nasa.  They have good rates on auto or truck loans and also offer CCs.

Maybe you can consider tackling one baddie a week until you get through one round.

When your scores are in the 620+ range, you could consider using the SCT (shopping cart trick) and getting a visa card from the Sportmans Guide Visa.  They have lots of outdoor equipment and also items for trucks.  There is lots of info on here about using the sct.  Again, I would advise caution to get cards you would actually benefit from and not just getting any and all of them.  I think you mentioned that too.

In the earlier days of my rebuilding, I saw a good point increase on my scores after I got the first card,the second, the third.  Another item to consider, secured cards count the same as unsecured cards for Fico scores.  If you can find a secured card that will graduate with good use, that is a bonus.

You might consider using credit check total to monitor your reports and scores.  After the intro offer, you can cancel and they have been offering a 50% discount for five years, so it is more affordable.  Several threads on it here also.

Again, welcome to myFico forums, and read as much as you can.  You'll be surprised how educational and rewarding it is here.

hth

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.