Established Member
JerseyJeff84

*Need Help!* Should I go for this settlement offer?

For about 4 years now, I've owed AT&T $494 for breaking my two year contract. That total price includes the $200 early termination fee. The other day, I received a 50% settlement offer where I can end the collection with a payment of $247. Is it worth it? I don't want to waste the money that I really don't have if either A) It's not going to matter when a credit company checks it and still see the collection or B) The collection agency never notifies the Bureaus of my payment and I lose out on $250. Considering I probably can't reach a live person at the number on the settlement, what's my best option? I was originally just going to let it fall off my credit, as I won't need to make any type of "credit check" decisions for a good 5-10 years now.

Senior Contributor
Booner72

Re: *Need Help!* Should I go for this settlement offer?

I wish I'da known now what I didn't know then.  I settled w/ Afni last year for half.  Now I find out that the OC (qwest) can't even find me in their system so I could have disputed the whole entire thing.  Paying/settling won't help your score.  The only reason I've read to pay old stuff is that if you are applying for a mortgage then it looks better to the lender  than an unpaid. also paying could be a condition of your loan.  But I'm fairly new here and I don't know that much.  Good Luck.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
New Contributor
taj_laneal

I settled with some CAs before I started working on my credit.  Your score won't increase, but it does look better if it is paid.  You should first write a PFD letter to see if the CA will delete it from your credit reports in exchange for payment.  I didn't do that before, so now my only option is a GW adjustment.

Starting Score: 09/14 EQ 596 TU 587 EX 588
Current Score: 11/14 EQ 670
TU 602 (CK VantageScore 688)
EX 656

Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
stanggt03

[ Edited ]

I would definitely try going the PFD route first. If they decline the 50% PFD, offer 75% or 100% PFD. If they decline, that's up to you then. It always feels (at least a little) good to pay off a debt you owe, even if there's no reciprocation.

Starting Score: 596 EQ 5-22-11 / 554 TU 5-23-11
Current Score: 615 EQ 08-15-11 / 631 TU 09-27-11
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}