Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help With Citi Bank Judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Help With Citi Bank Judgement

First off, before you drive yourself crazy, how much is this judgement for ??? Has any attorney for Citi tried to contact you or her ??? Depending upon the amount, they may never come after you for this judgement and it will sit in limbo. Each state has a different SOL time for these judgements. Some states it's as low as 5 year's, while others it's 10,15, 20, or lifetime. It just depends. In some states prior to the SOL time running out, they can go and renew the judgement. It all depends.
What is the amount first of all ???
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The judgement from citi bank credit card is for $6,000. I thought I  read the SOL is 10 years in Texas. The thing Im stressed about the most right now is the thought of them garnishing my savings/checking account funds for her debt since we are in a community property state. The attorney from citi bank has not contacted us, although when I called the court they gave me the lawyer for citi banks phone number so I can settle the debt. I havent called yet because I dont want to stir the pot.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this something I should be oncerned with? Can citi bank track down by bank account information and use the funds in my account to settle the 6k credit card debt?

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its pretty easy for them to find bank accounts *if* you bank locally, or you use one of the "big banks". In these situations its best to bank with an online bank that is smaller and not local to your state. A CU like SDFCU, DCU or something similar would be a good choice.

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks NormanFH! 

How likely is it that Citi Bank will look into this after 4 years? Im trying to save for a down payment on a house and cant afford to pay my spouses 6k debt just yet and Im wrorried they will take the money out of my bank account and set me back another year on getting a house? Any feed back is welcomed and appreciated, thanks!

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks NormanFH! 

How likely is it that Citi Bank will look into this after 4 years? Im trying to save for a down payment on a house and cant afford to pay my spouses 6k debt just yet and Im wrorried they will take the money out of my bank account and set me back another year on getting a house? Any feed back is welcomed and appreciated, thanks!

I would put those savings in a separate, small institution located in another state/area of the country. Do not get any credit products from that intstitution, only the savings account. You do not want anything from that bank/cu showing on your reports at all.

I really can't comment on how agressive Chase may be at trying to collect - it really depends on the lawyer they used.

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok are these essentially online banks with no physical branches? 

Are these online banks reputable and safe?

When applying for a home mortgage will the title company track my wife's judgement even if the loan will be in my name only?

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok are these essentially online banks with no physical branches? 

Are these online banks reputable and safe?

When applying for a home mortgage will the title company track my wife's judgement even if the loan will be in my name only?

Yes, "online only" banks are safe.

I can't answer the second question, you might ask in the mortgage forum.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.