Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Help with Charge-Off Re-Reporting

tag
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need Help with Charge-Off Re-Reporting

I dont see an issue with the CO, but rather with the reporting of delinquencies as having occured on an account with not unpaid debt.

The reporting of a CO is the reporting that, at some time in the past, they took that accounting measure.  It is a one-time event, and any updated reporting can continue to show that the account was charged-off.  It is not a statment that they took a new CO, and remains in the file.

I would take the suggestion and file a direct dispute of the reporting of delinquencies on an account after it was paid.  I would leave the CO issue out of the picture, as it clouds the real issue.

If they verify the accuracy of the reported deliquencies, I would immediately file a civil action for willful or negligent false reporting, which you have clearly brought to their attention via your direct dispute.  Also fire a coplaint to the FTC.

Message 11 of 19
majortom546
Established Member

Got a call back from CapOne EO. The woman said that she would investigate and contact me back within a week. Hopefully they do it right this time.
NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $16k | NFCU Platinum $16k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $12.5k | Chase Freedom 5k | NFCU CashRewards 2k (Joint Account) | NFCU NavCheck $500 | Amex Oasis Optima $500 | CapitalOne QuicksilverOne $300 | HVFCU Platinum Secured $100

Authorized User Cards: | Citibank-Sears 6k | GEMB-JcPenny 5.2k | Citibank-Home Depot 5k | GEMB-Old Navy 2k | AMEX BCP 2k | AMEX Gold PR NPSL |
Message 12 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I would not rely on 3rd party reporting not even through myFICO. I would pull your report directly from the CRA and compare the two. 

Message 13 of 19
majortom546
Established Member

Already did that. The info they are reporting is the same when pulling all 3 directly from the bureaus.
NFCU Flagship Visa Signature $16k | NFCU Platinum $16k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $12.5k | Chase Freedom 5k | NFCU CashRewards 2k (Joint Account) | NFCU NavCheck $500 | Amex Oasis Optima $500 | CapitalOne QuicksilverOne $300 | HVFCU Platinum Secured $100

Authorized User Cards: | Citibank-Sears 6k | GEMB-JcPenny 5.2k | Citibank-Home Depot 5k | GEMB-Old Navy 2k | AMEX BCP 2k | AMEX Gold PR NPSL |
Message 14 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I said they can report a paid/closed account.  That will not hurt your score.

They are reporting lates and have been since you paid the debt.  That is what is bringing down your score and needs to be corrected.  From the moment you paid no more late payments could be reported.  If they do not correct it they can be in trouble for knowingly reporting inaccurate information.

Message 15 of 19
majortom546
Established Member

Does anyone have advice on how to go about contacting a lawyer? I have never dealt with anything like this before. I had just got back the dispute results for equifax, about the date of last delinquency. It is now showing on my report again as charged off with a $1,397 past due balance. I am totally at a loss for words right now.

Message 16 of 19
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Contact a local consumer attorney and explain to him/her what is going on. 

Message 17 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The date of reporting of a CO does not mean that is the date they did their actual accounting measure.

They can do a charge-off and wait to report that fact to a CRA, or they could choose never to report it.

The date they actually did the charge-off is really only relevant to your credit reporting in that any DOFD they  report on that CO must have preceded the date they dd the CO.

Not nowing when they conducted their internal business, it is difficult to challenge the accuracy of the CO itself, and thus its reporting.

Message 18 of 19
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The date of reporting of a CO does not mean that is the date they did their actual accounting measure.

They can do a charge-off and wait to report that fact to a CRA, or they could choose never to report it.

The date they actually did the charge-off is really only relevant to your credit reporting in that any DOFD they  report on that CO must have preceded the date they dd the CO.

Not nowing when they conducted their internal business, it is difficult to challenge the accuracy of the CO itself, and thus its reporting.

That isn't the issue. They are reporting lates after it was paid.  That cannot happen.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.