Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Advice with Capitol One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Some Advice with Capitol One

I sent a dispute letter to Capitol One because they are reporting different amounts/dates, etc to the three credit bureaus. It was sold to collections and I've paid it. I was hoping that they would just delete the reporting because it's been paid and they are reporting incorrectly. Today i got a letter asking me for supprting documentation like my credit reports showing how they are reporting inaccuratly. Isn't the investigation their job? Don't they have to do that themselves? I'm afraid if I send it to them, they'll just fix it instead of deleting it. The letter says they won't do anything until they receive this info. That's not how I understood the process to work. I thought they HAD to investigate a dispute, right????

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need Some Advice with Capitol One

@Anonymous wrote:

I sent a dispute letter to Capitol One because they are reporting different amounts/dates, etc to the three credit bureaus. It was sold to collections and I've paid it. I was hoping that they would just delete the reporting because it's been paid and they are reporting incorrectly. Today i got a letter asking me for supprting documentation like my credit reports showing how they are reporting inaccuratly. Isn't the investigation their job? Don't they have to do that themselves? I'm afraid if I send it to them, they'll just fix it instead of deleting it. The letter says they won't do anything until they receive this info. That's not how I understood the process to work. I thought they HAD to investigate a dispute, right????

If the dates are different within the same month that is differences between how the CRAs report info and is not disputable. They have to either follow thru with your dispute request or declare it frivolous in any case they have to notify you of their decision.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need Some Advice with Capitol One

I think it would have been best to dispute through the credit bureaus. I would try again through the CRAs that will make them have to do the leg work then, Are they reporting a balance?

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.