Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Some Info on Writing Goodwill Letters for Paid Medical Collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need Some Info on Writing Goodwill Letters for Paid Medical Collections

Hi there,

In 2005, I was young, stupid and misinformed as to the severity of medical debt. That year, I went to the ER several times due to a chronic illness (black mold, yay!) and I now have five paid-off collections spread out between three collection agencies, from two hospital visits, from two divisions of the same hospital, both in the same year (2005). I paid these off in two or three respective lump sum payments in late 2008 and early 2009 -- as soon as I was able to after learning of their presence on my report. I want to get rid of these paid medical collections once and for all! They are the ONLY derogatory items on my report, they are paid in full, and they won't fall off until late 2012. I want to be able to consider buying a car, home, getting a private loan, etc. at some point in the future prior to 2012, and I believe that getting these nasties off of my report is the answer.

My credit has been in a mess as a result of these collections, but I am slowly but surely rebuilding it. The debts are all paid and now are showing on my report as closed, paid collections with $0 balances. My secured credit card was just graduated to unsecured with an increase in credit limit, and I was just granted my first ever store charge card. My FICO has moved up 13 points in a year, which is good but I don't think it's good enough. I feel that I am definitely on the right track, but there is one more thing I'd like to try: Goodwill letters to get these things deleted.

I have a pretty good grasp on the concept and content of the GW letter, but have one question: Do the letters go to the OC (the hospital) or the CA?

I can't honestly remember to whom each bill was paid.... I know at least one was to the CA and at least one was directly to the hospital, but I can't remember which was which and I paid them all with a debit card over the phone so there are no cancelled checks. That, and the bank account to which that card was connected is no longer active thanks to some fraudulent activity with said card. So I have no way of (easily) accessing the records, and my ledger only says "medical debt". I know, I should have kept better records. But I was naive at the time and thought that paying the debt off meant it would be gone from my report and I didn't have to worry about follow-up. Again, misinformed.

So anyway, should I write these letters to the hospital where the debt originated? Or do I send them to the collection agencies listed on my report? Or both?

Any insight from personal experience and/or expertise would be SO APPRECIATED.

Best,

A

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.