Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need a card recommendation for my situation

tag
lanakane
New Contributor

Need a card recommendation for my situation

Hi, I'm looking to open one more CC and transfer a revolving charge balance to it.
My scores are hovering around the 640 range. Equifax or Experian look pretty good but a couple late parking ticket collections just hit my TU that I have yet to clean up.
I have high balances on my other cards (just had a baby and have been home with him so making smaller payments) but all has been paid on time for the past three years plus. A couple open cards at zero balance. Utilization overall in the high 30s I think.
I have one judgment that is in the process of being removed but it probably won't be gone by the time I apply. So I am looking at a lower tier of offers.
Any recommendations for me to consider?

Cards I have:
Cap One Quicksilver One
Discover It
Chase Slate
My credit union MC
Amex Gold charge card (I want to transfer off this balance)

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 652 EX / 675 EQ / 643 TU
Goal Score: 700

Cap One QuicksilverOne $3000 | FirstTech FCU Visa $2500 | Discover IT $1500 | Amazon.com $700 | JCrew $600 | Ann Taylor $500 | VS $350 | Nordstrom Visa (AU) $15,000 | American Express® Gold

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need a card recommendation for my situation

@lanakane wrote:
Hi, I'm looking to open one more CC and transfer a revolving charge balance to it.
My scores are hovering around the 640 range. Equifax or Experian look pretty good but a couple late parking ticket collections just hit my TU that I have yet to clean up.
I have high balances on my other cards (just had a baby and have been home with him so making smaller payments) but all has been paid on time for the past three years plus. A couple open cards at zero balance. Utilization overall in the high 30s I think.
I have one judgment that is in the process of being removed but it probably won't be gone by the time I apply. So I am looking at a lower tier of offers.
Any recommendations for me to consider?

Cards I have:
Cap One Quicksilver One
Discover It
Chase Slate
My credit union MC
Amex Gold charge card (I want to transfer off this balance)

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Apply for a second QS1 card (for the 9 months 0% interest), then at six months you can combine them together, and if your scores continue to grow, you may qualify for the QS Visa, or Venture, six months later, combine again. Remember to get your 6 month CLI's on them before combining.

Message 2 of 8
lanakane
New Contributor

Wow, they will really let me have a second one of the same card?  That's wild.

Cap One pings all three bureaus though, right?  So I'll get three inquiries.  And my TU looks bad right now because of these recent parking ticket collections that hit it.  Do you think they'll care if the other two look ok?  Also my utilization on my first QS1 is very very high.  But payment history is perfect and income is good as far as they know. Thoughts?  Is it worth the risk of three inquiries?

Cap One QuicksilverOne $3000 | FirstTech FCU Visa $2500 | Discover IT $1500 | Amazon.com $700 | JCrew $600 | Ann Taylor $500 | VS $350 | Nordstrom Visa (AU) $15,000 | American Express® Gold

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lanakane wrote:

Wow, they will really let me have a second one of the same card?  That's wild.

Cap One pings all three bureaus though, right?  So I'll get three inquiries.  And my TU looks bad right now because of these recent parking ticket collections that hit it.  Do you think they'll care if the other two look ok?  Also my utilization on my first QS1 is very very high.  But payment history is perfect and income is good as far as they know. Thoughts?  Is it worth the risk of three inquiries?

Don't worry about all that - Cap One is not particularly sensitive to those things, and your scores are more than good enough.

I usually recommend the Platinum if you already have the QS1, but in your case, since you want to do a balance transfer, it makes sense to take advantage of the 0% interest period.

You might want to take a look at this thread as well, for some ideas on how to get your balances down faster:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Credit-Card-repayment-strategy/m-p/4432567#M4...

Message 4 of 8
lanakane
New Contributor

Thanks. I just applied and I got the "don't call us, we'll call you" message.  7-10 days, look for an email or a letter etc.

Is that generally a No?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lanakane wrote:

Thanks. I just applied and I got the "don't call us, we'll call you" message.  7-10 days, look for an email or a letter etc.

Is that generally a No?

Hmm.. You should get an email notice in a day or two - see what it says.  May just be a verification issue - that seems to happening a lot lately.

Message 6 of 8
lanakane
New Contributor

I have a judgement on record that's supposed to fall off this month (it was vacated/withdrawn)... if CapOne denies me then this falls off how long would I have to call back and recon?

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@lanakane wrote:

I have a judgement on record that's supposed to fall off this month (it was vacated/withdrawn)... if CapOne denies me then this falls off how long would I have to call back and recon?

It depends on the denial reason. They don't really have a recon, but you can re-apply. If it was a credit score related reason, then its a 30 day wait. If its an administrative thing (like when you have too many existing cap one accounts, or you have an app pending) then there is no wait time imposed. Note that administrative reasons do not result in a credit pull, so if you have not received any alerts for an inquiry, thats a clue to call them and find out whats going on.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.