Did you mean: 

Need advice before I attack CA!!

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Need advice before I attack CA!!

FDCPA 809

b) Disputed debts

If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) of this section that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector. Collection activities and communications that do not otherwise violate this subchapter may continue during the 30-day period referred to in subsection (a) unless the consumer has notified the debt collector in writing that the debt, or any portion of the debt, is disputed or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor. Any collection activities and communication during the 30-day period may not overshadow or be inconsistent with the disclosure of the consumer’s right to dispute the debt or request the name and address of the original creditor.
Message 21 of 24
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Thank you!

Message 22 of 24
guiness56
Epic Contributor

There is also an FTC opinion letter, which I am searching for, that states they cannot report until they validate.

Message 23 of 24
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Awesome, thanks!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.