Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice for my mom

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Need advice for my mom

So my moms credit history is in the toilet. I wanna help her fix it. Here's an overview of her profile

Mid 400s
78% on time payments
No credit cards
19 student loan accounts in deferment status
1 car loan with several missed payments
4 collection accounts totaling $1600
2 public court records totaling $1200

She had a Cap One card that was charged off in 2008. I don't know if she can dispute any of the baddies because even if they're there erroneously, she doesn't have documentation. My suggestions are to pay the collection items and hope they fall off, then get some secured cards and manage them for her so she doesn't forget to make payments. And also make her an AU on my cards that have perfect history but just not give jet the actual card. Any suggestions?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need advice for my mom

icyhot wrote:

So my moms credit history is in the toilet. I wanna help her fix it. Here's an overview of her profile

Mid 400s

78% on time payments

No credit cards  She needs to open 3 bankcards ASAP even if she has to go secured. She should try the Cap-1 prequal link to see what comes up, a CO in 08 will not be a factor if its been paid, if they had to sell it they may have a problem but not always.   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Secured-Cards-Database/td-p/3846302

1 car loan with several missed payments Send the creditor a GW letter asking for forgiveness on the lates

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

4 collection accounts totaling $1600  Send them PFD offers

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

2 public court records totaling $1200  What kind of PR? Tax lien or judgment?

She had a Cap One card that was charged off in 2008. I don't know if she can dispute any of the baddies because even if they're there erroneously, she doesn't have documentation. My suggestions are to pay the collection items and hope they fall off, then get some secured cards and manage them for her so she doesn't forget to make payments. And also make her an AU on my cards that have perfect history but just not give jet the actual card. Any suggestions? I would only make her an AU on your oldest card. Make sure they will report it, I know Cap-1 will.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@icyhot wrote:

Mid 400s
78% on time payments
No credit cards
1 car loan with several missed payments
4 collection accounts totaling $1600
2 public court records totaling $1200

She had a Cap One card that was charged off in 2008. I don't know if she can dispute any of the baddies because even if they're there erroneously, she doesn't have documentation. My suggestions are to pay the collection items and hope they fall off, then get some secured cards and manage them for her so she doesn't forget to make payments. And also make her an AU on my cards that have perfect history but just not give jet the actual card. Any suggestions?

I agree with what @gdale6 stated. There are some things that can be done to help improve her credit, but this is going to take time. Hope you get it figured out.

Message 3 of 5
icyhot
Valued Contributor

A court judgement. I don't think the charge off was ever paid. My oldest card is a Citi. And what's a PFD?
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@icyhot wrote:
A court judgement. I don't think the charge off was ever paid. My oldest card is a Citi. And what's a PFD?

The judgment is most likely more than what it says now especially of its an older one. The way to approach this one is a settlement offer to the judgment creditor. A judgment can be renewed pretty much forever in all states so its not just going to go away even though it can only be reported for 7 years from the date it was granted or the governing state statute period of time, whichever is longer.   I have no idea if Citi reports you would need to ask them if they do.

A PFD is pay for delete.    http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Guide-To-Common-Abbreviations/m-p/224988?jump...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.