Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice husband wants macbook & has no cc's

tag
flinjami83
New Contributor

Need advice husband wants macbook & has no cc's

My husband is wanting to buy a macbook so he can learn how to program using apple (he's a software developer). He doens't have any CC's in his name and was just denied for Barclays. His TU is 617. We called them and they said they can't recon b/c he doesn't have any CC TL's showing on his CR. 
I have three CC's ($350, $300, and $500) b/c I've been rebuilding mine since Nov 12.
I don't know how to go about this... should I apply for a Barclay in my name? (That won't be helping his credit though)
Should I attempt to do Bill Me Later thru the apple website? 
What should I do to get him a positive TL on his credit? He is an authorized user on my three but apparently they don't care about that. What CC would be the best for him to apply for at this point to get that positive TL?

I don't understand how he got approved for $1500 fresh out of college with no income at Best Buy and now he makes 80K a year and can't get a card??!?!?

Starting Score: 595 (2/22/13)
Current Score: FICO 624 (4/22/2014)
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Need advice husband wants macbook & has no cc's

He should try for a secured card through his bank or credit union.  Cap one is a good rebuilder and BoA.

At least try those.

Message 2 of 11
flinjami83
New Contributor

Thanks I think we will try Cap One but since he is an auth user on my Cap One will that hurt him?

And do you think I should try to open a Barclays in my name to get the macbook? Or maybe get a small loan from our Credit Union?

Message 3 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Him being an AU on yours should make no difference.  The fact he doesn't have any CC of his own might.  One of those catch 22 situations.

A loan from you CU will be an installment loan and could help your credit mix.

Message 4 of 11
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

You have to walk before you run.  Try the rebuilder (or builder) cards.....Cap One, First Premiere, etc.  Yep, they're not the greatest, but he has to start somewhere.

Also, a secured with a year reporting will really help.  Credit unions?  Try their builders as well.   I would send him to the credit union and see what they recommend.  Don't just start appying everywhere, it's a shot in the foot and it won't help.    Start with the CU and see where it takes him.  And keep us posted.

Message 5 of 11
flinjami83
New Contributor

That's the thing... he has three sallie mae's on his CR all reporting paid as agreed, and also a car loan installment reporting no lates. He has one old baddie that is a paid collection but due to fall off next year. 

I feel like he prob needs a revolving line like Cap One...???

Message 6 of 11
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

Capital One is probably the best bet for a starter card. It's not likely he would be approved anywhere for $1500-2000 for a Macbook. If he has the funds, and wants to use this purchase to build credit, put it on a secured card. Try a local credit union.

The difference between being approved fresh out of college and now, is that he must now have some negatives on his report for a 617 CS. Adding some positive TLs will help, but even if approved for a $2000 CL, he would max out it out with a Macbook purchase, which will hurt his score.

Save up for it, pay cash, and build up his credit one step at a time.
Message 7 of 11
flinjami83
New Contributor

Ok so we will start with the credit union, if that doesn't pan out maybe try Cap One. I got my Cap One when I had a 586 and he is at a 617 so I would think he could get approved somewhere!

Message 8 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 9 of 11
flinjami83
New Contributor

I agree, paying cash for it is prob the best idea, and in the meantime just get him a card to start rebuilding. We are wanting to buy a house prob next year and both of us are going to need some positive TL's.

It's just so crazy when you hear "we can't approve your for a credit card because you don't have any credit cards" haha seems like such an oxymoron!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.