Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on Cap One

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

Need advice on Cap One

So, I have had a balance of about $30 for about 2 months now on my Cap one (just charging some things to keep util below 9%. My CL is $1100

But every month for the past two months, Cap one keep reporting my balance to be $1004 ( which puts my util at 91% for this card). My other cards have 0 balance but they are also very small limits ($500 and $300 respectively). So my total credit limit combines is $1900.

So that puts my total util at 52%. I believe that this is taking at least 20-30 points off my EQ FICO because of the util. %.

I have disputed it twice so far and just today I got a SW alert. So thinking that Cap one finally corrected this I log and and see this:

Balance Newly reported :$1004

I mean seriously what the $#@$@???? I have contacted them on the phone 5 times and they assured me this was being corrected and today I get another blow

What can i do ? My actual balance has been around $30 in the last two months

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
josie
Regular Contributor

Re: Need advice on Cap One

I have my cap one since Jan 2011 and what I do is if my payment is due on the 19 of the month if I want $20 to report on my cr I would make payment by the 15 and dont use it till like the 27 of the month cause I realize they report just before the 25 on this account. Hope this helps
Started over because life happens.
I did it again even better this time. My highest score last time was 680

Starting Score: 513 Ex 520 Eq 534 Tu
Current Score: 689 Ex 684 Eq 698 Tu
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto to Josie...did $1004 ever show on the statement?

Message 3 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@llecs wrote:

Ditto to Josie...did $1004 ever show on the statement?

The last time I had $1004 was begining of April where I paid the balance to $0. Since April, I have charged about $50 on the card and current balance is $30. So for about 2 months, I havent had a blaance of more than $50.

I got a SW alert today abd it says cap one reported my new balance is $1004. I called capital one who are now shifting the blame on EQ. So I have to call EQ and figure out why they are not updating the info with cap one.

Message 4 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

Just got off the phone with EQ, they have the latest Cap One update they got today for this same accoutn and it says Balance $1004. So Cap One is screwing up. I argued with the supervisor at cap one today that I'm sure that it's on theri end that their system is not sending the correct info. But I wonder sometimes if the agents/supervisor are even understanding what im saying.

Frustrated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 5 of 8
Booner72
Senior Contributor

This would make me furious.  I recently had good luck with a credit card that I have 1350 credit and 300 balance.  They were reporting limit as 600.  On the back of the statement I found a phone # to their "credit reporting" department and the lady agreed to send an update to the CRA's.  Don't give up, keep calling them, try different departments.  Have your info in front of you and offer to fax it to them.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

I have been transferred all over the place with Cap One. Don;t you love it when the agent keep saying 'I understand  your frustration'? 

It makes me want to put my hand through the phone and say 'DAMMIT you have no freakling clue what my patience is right now so stop saying you undertsnad me  #$$!

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Do you have statements on this account that show the balance being between $30 and $50. If so use them when you are disputing.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.