Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on a recent equifax investigation

tag
tullz85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need advice on a recent equifax investigation

Why CMRRR a DV? It's not like the CA has to answer it...unless it's in the first 30 days.
Message 11 of 19
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Because if you are going to dispute it with the CRAs, you need proof.  

For example, lets say the CA sent that dunning letter to an address you no longer live at.  A year later you check your credit reprot and see they're reporting it.  You still can dispute it.  

If you send them a request, it's good to always document EVERYTHING.  The more proof you have, the more likely you are to substantiate your claim.  Otherwise its your word against theirs....  and you'll lose every time.   

Message 12 of 19
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I must dsagree with the proposed letter for several reasons.

If AT&T is the purported OC, you simply cannot DV them.  The DV process under FDCPA 809(b) is limited to debt collectors (e.g., CAs), and does not apply to OCs.  The DV process has nothing at all to do with the CRAs, and sending them a copy of a prior "DV" letter to a creditor will have no affect on them.  Further, a DV letter, even if appropriate, has no set period for response,l and certainly no 30-day period.

Disputing with an OC is limited to filing a dispute with the CRA (not directly with the OC) under FCRA 611(a).

My opinion is that your letter is mixing apples and oranges in a very confusing manner.

I would first call the OC and get specific information on the purported account and debt for which you have no records.  If you cannot settle the matter directly with them, file a dispute with the CRA under FCRA 611(a), and leave out all of the irrelevant DV stuff, of which the CRA is not even a party.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had similar experience where EQ said that the debt belongs to me.  I continued disputing this with EQ.

I recommend that you send a DV request.  Be careful of trying to be to wordy in your letter i.e. I disputed this alleged debt and I request full validation.  I also request immediate deletion from all (3) cra....

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok. I was ready to send out this DV letter certified mail this morning and I thought to check here one more time and now I am getting mixed signals. I guess I should state the case in full.

The story in full: 

An account/service/charge was supposedly made with AT&T in August of 2008.

I did not know about said charge until June 2009 when I pulled my credit report.

The account is listed as charge off as of April 2009.

I filed at dispute with Equifax the day I noticed the charge and received a return letter two weeks later (7/14/09) concluding, "Equifax verified that the item belongs to you."

Unless, I had an out-of-body experience then I didn't open up the account as I have never done business with AT&T. I have never received a bill from them nor did I receive one between August 2008 and April 2009.

The facts I do not have:

I have contacted the number listed on the Equifax investigation letter but still have not been able to come up with a full account number. All I have are the first nine digits.

I do not have information as the service, account, or product that was purchased from AT&T. I only have the charge for the item which was $25.

What I need:

Information on the quickest method for having this account removed from my credit report.

If it is not a simple solution and the company is going to give me the run around then I need to know the best method in getting the information I need from the company (The actual account number and what item was purchased). Someone on here has to have had a similar experience. What did you do to resolve the matter?

Additional Information:

I have 15 additional items on my credit report and not one of them has a late payment listed. All accounts are paid on time and according to the set terms.

This mistake is costing me immensely as my credit score is 682 just from the one $25 charge off.

Personally, I think any creditor should laugh at such a charge off ($25 is nothing!) especially in light of the rest of my credit report but I don't want to take any chances as my wife and I hope to buy a home in a year or two.

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-20-2009 04:58 AM
Message 15 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't send a DV letter, but rather I'd send an OC Letter.

But before I'd send anything, I would call them and ask for the last couple copies of bills. I'd start by calling the number listed on the CR, if available, otherwise I would call via any contact number listed on their website. I'd answer all of their questions. Now you mentioned you called, but I'd keep calling and tell them every time that they are reporting on the CR.

If after several attempts, then I'd send the OC letter. Also try planetfeedback.com. They will list contact info to the executive offices. Another option is to file a complaint with the BBB or your local utility authority (if related to landline).

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

AT&T has bought out several other companies over the years, maybe that is why you dont recognize the debt?

I used this link with wonderful results.  http://consumerist.com/consumer/phone-numbers/executive-customer-service-numbers-for-36-companies-30...

I had an old SBC account I wanted to PFD that was owned by AT&T.  The above link sent my email right to the 'executive offices'.  It did take over a week to get a response, but the woman who helped me with my issue was extremely helpful and polite. She agreed to remove the debt from my credit reports onced I paid.   Maybe you can get some resolution this way.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazing! I will not be doing business with AT&T in the future.

After 3+ hours, I finally got a full account number and the exact charge on my account but no one could help me find out how this charge got on CR and how to get it removed.

I am finished for the night (6:30PM) after 20+ transfers, 6+ transfers without notifications, and 2 disconnects by representatives.

I did fire off an e-mail to edited. Thanks for the info Snappy!

In the mean time, the account has dropped my credit score another 4 points to 678.

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 08-17-2009 04:29 PM
Message Edited by sdogg1m on 08-17-2009 04:40 PM
Posting of others's names, personal info, etc. are a no-no on these forums. However, feel free to PM each other back and forth with any info or do as Snappy did in the previous post, by including a link that has that info. - thanks, llecs, myFICO mod.
Message Edited by llecs on 08-17-2009 10:45 PM
Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Resolved this issue finally on Friday. This was after contacting the information that Snappy gave me. I had to call (Tuesday) as an e-mail did not produce a response. An AT&T representative returned my call (FINALLY!) and then answered three different times (call backs) after I sent various pieces of information.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I will monitor my score just to see if the account is actually removed from my credit report.

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 08-24-2009 08:04 PM
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.