Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on a recent equifax investigation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice on a recent equifax investigation

I pulled my credit report two week ago and noticed a charge by AT&T for $25 on August 2008. I have never done business with AT&T and my other 15 accounts are rock solid (paid up and a low debt total). I disputed the claim with equifax and 10 days of investigation have a return letter that says the item (now a charge off) belongs to me. The account is not listed with the other credit bureaus (Experian and TransUnion).

I still don't recall doing any business with AT&T and most certainly did not receive a bill from them. The letter gives contact information from equifax regarding the information and AT&T so that I can deal with them. Has anyone had a similar problem? What did you do to take care of it?

I suppose I need to call AT&T to find out what product or service was purchased from them.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Re: Need advice on a recent equifax investigation

I would send them a DV request (send it certified mail, return reciept requested).  If they can't prove the debt is yours after 30-45 days, send a copy of your request to EQ along with a copy of your message and reciept showing delivery and a note stating per FCRA they are not responding to debt verification requests and as a result must stop collection activity which includes reporting to CRAs. 
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply RadioRob.

This will be my first time sending a DV letter to anyone. My questions are:

Is this a good DV letter to send?

I still do not have the full account number from AT&T (from never getting a bill). Do I need to list the full account number on this DV letter?

To Whom It May Concern: This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on July 15th, 2009. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested. This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you. Please provide me with the following: What the money you say I owe is for; Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe; Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe; If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist. If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately. Best Regards,

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-14-2009 04:44 PM
Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-14-2009 04:45 PM
Message 3 of 19
RadioRob
Established Contributor

That should do it in a nutshell.  Be sure to break it up into proper paragraphs, check spelling/punctuation, etc.  

Also give them as much info as possible to be able to identify the account in question.  You might include a copy of your report showing what they're reporting (blank out or supress other non-relevant TLs, etc).  

You don't want to waste your time getting a reply back to the effect they need more info to investigate this. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice Rob. I am going to make a phone call in the AM as there Credit Management Center is closed. I still do not have to full account number of the service that AT&T has billed me for and will need to get that. After I find out the information then I will send out the letter per your instructions.

I have a feeling that this is not going to go away easily Smiley Sad

Message 5 of 19
RadioRob
Established Contributor

Please be very careful calling them....

There are a couple of things to keep in mind:

a) They could be recording phone calls....  anything you say could be held against you.  

b) They would get your phone # you called from and decide to harass you later by phone, etc.  

If you do decide to call them, make sure you are 100% clear in the fact you are not acknowledging the debt in any way as belonging to you.  For example, "I need you to provide additional information to me regarding this alleged debt so I can substantiate your claim."  Otherwise acknowleding the debt as your could bite you in the ass later.  

I personally would only work with them via letter...  that way you have a paper trail to follow and any promises or offers they make to you can be proven later.  

Good luck!

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

RadioRob,

I called the number listed on the report and naturally got routed to five places. None of those helping are able to pull up the account number under any of my information (SS#, Phone Number - old, address). Should I go ahead and send the DV without the full account number listed on it? If so what can I list so that they can pull up the account and realize that I am not the holder?

The fact that I have called and had so much difficulty getting them to find what product or service was supposedly purchased by makes me wonder what type of methods equifax used during its investigation.

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-15-2009 03:24 PM
Message 7 of 19
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply RadioRob.

This will be my first time sending a DV letter to anyone. My questions are:

Is this a good DV letter to send?

I still do not have the full account number from AT&T (from never getting a bill). Do I need to list the full account number on this DV letter?

To Whom It May Concern: This letter is being sent to you in response to a notice sent to me on July 15th, 2009. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested. This is NOT a request for “verification” or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you. Please provide me with the following: What the money you say I owe is for; Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe; Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe; If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist. If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately. Best Regards,

Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-14-2009 04:44 PM
Message Edited by sdogg1m on 07-14-2009 04:45 PM

Pretty good.  Usually you don't DV an OC, but since you are disputing the validity of this debt by the OC, this time, a DV may be appropriate.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 8 of 19
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@RadioRob wrote:

That should do it in a nutshell.  Be sure to break it up into proper paragraphs, check spelling/punctuation, etc.  

Also give them as much info as possible to be able to identify the account in question.  You might include a copy of your report showing what they're reporting (blank out or supress other non-relevant TLs, etc).  

You don't want to waste your time getting a reply back to the effect they need more info to investigate this. 

They can't ask for more time to investigate, they should have all information already, prior to reporting.

Well, I guess they CAN ask, but refuse. Smiley Wink

Be careful what personal info you send.

Name & address only

Message 9 of 19
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

@RadioRob wrote:

Please be very careful calling them....

There are a couple of things to keep in mind:

a) They could be recording phone calls....  anything you say could be held against you.  

b) They would get your phone # you called from and decide to harass you later by phone, etc.  

If you do decide to call them, make sure you are 100% clear in the fact you are not acknowledging the debt in any way as belonging to you.  For example, "I need you to provide additional information to me regarding this alleged debt so I can substantiate your claim."  Otherwise acknowleding the debt as your could bite you in the ass later.  

I personally would only work with them via letter...  that way you have a paper trail to follow and any promises or offers they make to you can be proven later.  

Good luck!

I wouldn't call....make them mail you copies of EVERYTHING!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.