cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice re: collection account

tag
Workin4aLivn

Need advice re: collection account

I filed bankruptcy in July 2010, discharged in Nov. 2010.  I had a utility bill in CA that was included in my bankruptcy.  We are trying to buy a home and my husband now has a collection account from this utility company on his credit report.  I know CA is a community property state.  He wasn't on the account at the time, but is it possible that they discovered we were married and reported the debt to him?  If so, are they allowed to report it as a new collection a year and a half later?

We did dispute it with the credit reporting agencies, but they say that it was verified as a valid debt.  We weren't even still living in CA when this was added to his report, so I'm not sure what to do next.

Advice please.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice re: collection account

First thing to consider is how much is the debt?

If the debt is a minor number, you may have better results just trying to get a PFD.

Hopefully some one with more knowledge about Community State Laws will answer your question as I have limited to no knowledge to assist you.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

What type of bankruptcy?

If you live in a community property state and your spouse filed alone, your share of the community debts is also generally considered discharged.

Message 3 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

I don;t know all the details here BUT I have heard that when you pay it off, that counts as date of last activity so it stays on LSmiley SurprisedNGER. If you pay it, ask them to give you something in writing saying they will no longer report it to the credit agencies. That's pay to delete

Message 4 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@ando35 wrote:

I don;t know all the details here BUT I have heard that when you pay it off, that counts as date of last activity so it stays on LSmiley SurprisedNGER. If you pay it, ask them to give you something in writing saying they will no longer report it to the credit agencies. That's pay to delete

Paying a debt will not make it stay longer.  It doesn't go by the date of last activity, it goes by the DoFD.

Message 5 of 12
Workin4aLivn

I filed individual chapter 7 bankruptcy in colorado, the debt is from California, when we lived there.

Message 6 of 12
Workin4aLivn

The amount is very minor - less than $85 - just a HUGE annoyance

Message 7 of 12
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you filed and included the debt and the BK was discharged, the debt is paid.  So, no, they should not be going after your spouse.  It is illegal for someone to try and collect on a discharged debt.

Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1  That is the purpose of a BK.  After the debt is discharge it is gone, forever.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
ando35
Frequent Contributor

Bad marks fall off seven years after your last actiity.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.