Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice

tag
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Need advice

Brightwater Capital is only showing on my EX acct they claim they bought an old HSBC acct.  I disputed with EX and it came back verified, I sent Brightwater a DV and they sent back a basic letter saying they own the debt and demanded payment, problem is it was addressed to someone else.  So I sent a copy back and asked for proper validation.  I have not heard anything back from them. 

I have been sending the OC weekly GWs, I got a no response of course, but in the letter it stated the debt was sold and the CA Atlantic Credit owns the debt, I never got anything from Atlantic Credit nor are they on my report.

To further complicate things I got a letter from another CA, Halsted Financial Services claiming to own the same account.  I sent them a DV letter and I haven't gotten a response.  They are not showing on my reports either.

I am very confused and I really want Brightwater Capital off of my report especially if they don't own the debt anymore.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Need advice

Well, if it hasn't reappeared, don't worry about it right now. If it does, watch for the dunning letter in the mail. If no dunning letter, send a DV to whomever shows up.

As for the CA reporting. You can send them a certified mail stating that they no longer own the account, reference whatever communication you have and ask them to remove the entry on your CR.

If they don't respond, file a BBB complaint listing the same information.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Usually the DVs are used to determine who has the debt.  This happens because the CAs sell them back and forth.  That's how the wrong information gets to your CR.  It gets watered down time and time again.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
Tay09
Regular Contributor

Thanks!  I will wait another week to see if I get any DV responses and then move on from there.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.