Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need advice

Hi I'm new to the forums, and apologize if this issue has already been addressed.

I have a slight problem with a credit card, specifically a GAP visa card from GEMB. I had an account approved in May of 2009, but did not recieve a card that day, but they charged something to my credit account anyways. About mid-may,  I still had not recieved a credit card, and was overseas until August of 2009. Naturally, the amount on my account (around 17 USD) morphed into over 100. Upon returning back to the US, I found a letter from the bank, cancelled the old card, got a new card reissued, logged into their weird payment system online and paid down all of it. 

Naturally my credit score took a huge hit ( it was over 750 before this). I know it's kind of late, but is there anything I can do to get that removed or negotiated so my credit score isn't so low? It's one of those once in a blue moon events for my credit score history. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need advice

It appears that the card has a yearly fee associated with it, which was placed by them as a balance on the account upon the day of issuance of the card.

So next month, and for maybe months thereafter, you were delinquent on making the minimum monthly payment.

You need to send them a good will letter, explaining in detail all the facts.  If they did not cancel the card, but in fact reissued it to you, that is a good sign.  It says they still want your business.  That is the first, and in my opinion, the greatest hurdle to overcome in asking for a GW deletion.

CCCs approach GW deletions by considering what is best for their future business, and not so much about humanitarian concern for you.

I think you might have a good shot at a GW deletion! 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think that since this is about 4 months ago, it is too late? And should it be addressed to the bank that issued the store credit card? Also, I'm not sure what I should ask for.

Thanks!

Message Edited by xano on 02-09-2010 07:35 PM
Message 3 of 7
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

I agree with RobertEG,  and if you could send something proving that you were overseas, I think will help your case.:smileywink:

You can also contact them by phone or email.Some people say, that they have had luck that way. 

ETA:  No 4mos is not too late, but would not wait any longer. 

Yes, Contact the bank that issued the store credit card.

Ask for.....a reversal of charges....of the annual fee.

When you received a CC, there is a sticker on the card to call and confirm receipt of the CC.

Did you ever call to authorize the card or confirm receipt of the CC?? 

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In credit reporting lingo, what you are asking them for is their good-will deletion of the prior montly lates posted to your credit report.

I would first get them on the phone.  You can play then better on the phone.  Dont argue.  Dont intimidate.

Give them your best Forrest Gump, ignorant of the ways of the credit world charm.

Aw, shucks, I did not know I had a balance.  I never got the card, so was ignorant, and assumed I had no account!

Being out of the country for a period, I used this assumption in my belief that not debt had yet accrued....

I always had the intent to pay you timely, and build a good relationship with  you, as evidence by the fact that I made full payment of the delinquenct debt as soon as I was aware of it.

It was only my misunderstanding that led to the delinquencies, and not any intent not to pay, or inabiloty to pay...

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Act stupid!  Creditors like stupid consumers.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-09-2010 08:04 PM
Message 5 of 7
fused
Moderator Emeritus

RobertEG wrote:

In credit reporting lingo, what you are asking them for is their good-will deletion of the prior montly lates posted to your credit report.

I would first get them on the phone.  You can play then better on the phone.  Dont argue.  Dont intimidate.

Give them your best Forrest Gump, ignorant of the ways of the credit world charm.

Aw, shucks, I did not know I had a balance.  I never got the card, so was ignorant, and assumed I had no account!

Being out of the country for a period, I used this assumption in my belief that not debt had yet accrued....

I always had the intent to pay you timely, and build a good relationship with  you, as evidence by the fact that I made full payment of the delinquenct debt as soon as I was aware of it.

It was only my misunderstanding that led to the delinquencies, and not any intent not to pay, or inabiloty to pay...

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Act stupid!  Creditors like stupid consumers.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 02-09-2010 08:04 PM

Funny, very funny!

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

LIGHTNIN: Ok, I'll type up the letter and send it to them asap. I don't think they have a email contact.

The CC is the problem. I think I left the country before my card arrived, so I had no account number to use to register for online payment. Furthermore, upon returning, I didn't even see a store CC arrive in the mail, just a bunch of letters asking for payment. So no, did not even call to authorize or register the CC. I do have the agreement form that I signed at a store, and that's about it. 

As strange as this habit is, maybe I'll be grateful that I have all my flight ticket stubs for overseas travel. 

Message Edited by xano on 02-09-2010 08:47 PM
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.