Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need an apartments with a 617 and 1 year after ch7

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need an apartments with a 617 and 1 year after ch7

Hey everyone,

Ive always read and searched on these forums so this will be my first time posting. I have got a lot of great info off these forums so thank you!

I filed for ch7 1 year 1/2 ago.   Since then I have corrected almost all inaccurate info on my credit report (except one) and i have had a capital one credit card for one year with ontime payments, and kept it under $500 (limit 2,500). I have a 90 day late on my southern california edison account, and even though i filed it under bk, i still payed it ($90) afterwards. Im going to write a letter to try to have the negative removed from my credit report. 

Basically i need to rent an apartment closer to work. I current rent a bedroom attached to a house. I have been at my job for a year 6 months and am making decent money.  But with my BK and low credit score, i have applied to two apartments, and someone with better credit got the offer. (Score is 617)  I dont know what to do? Im in Orange County CA and it seems there is multiple applications for any apartment.    

Im starting to get discouraged.... and the lingering of the BK over my head is starting to really feel awful.  Any advice or direction in what i should be doing? 

Summary: Credit score 617, ch7 bk year 1/2 ago. Capital one CC on time payment for 1 year, low balance.  Need to have an apartment but finding it difficult. Help..advice?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need an apartments with a 617 and 1 year after ch7

OC is rough.

As in OC Cali, not Original Creditor. Smiley LOL

I've tried the tactic of laying down a large downpayment, like first/last/security deposit. 

There's room rentals.

There's commuting from Compton. I had to. Forgive me.

Private rentals with large downpayments take lower credit scores. Harder to find IMO, bc you must traverse the dangerous path of Craigslist. My rental in SD County didn't care that I had lower CS, mainly one of those "we just want money" type of ghetto establishments, in a not so ghetto area. But trust, this apt sucks. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

haha thanks... maybe stay a fe more months where im at until i can get the credit score higher.. 

this sucks!! LOL  but thank you.. maybe i need to go for somethin a little... more ghetto ugh for the time being until my credit start looking better...

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I understand your dilemma. We recently moved into an apartment about 6mos post discharge and it definitely wasn't easy to find one we liked and one that would take us. Don't get too discouraged. Figure out why your scores are so low and then work to raise them, then try to find a new place. Good luck!

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that cap one card is the only one you have, then you need to get at least two more. Another cap one card would be good. Barclays maybe if you have more than a year on your cap one card.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.