Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need assistance. Chase response to CFPB

tag
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need assistance. Chase response to CFPB

@wHiTeSoL wrote:

Let me know if you have any success, I am in a simliar position with Capital One where I have 5 letters over 4 months stating "the results of our current invenstigiation is as follows: the account is reporting correctly" and a last letter stating they were in error before and will correct the information. Still makes my blood boil that it took me, the consumer, 6 letters to finally get them to fix something so blatantly false.

I'll be sure to do that.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 11 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

As I view it, they have reconsidered their prior blanket verification, and decided to provide updates of certain information.

The implication that by updating they admit inaccuracy may be true, but it does not necessarily establish that their prior verification was knowingling inaccurate.

It may have been a less than thorough first investigation, but they have now agreed to correct.

Thus, I would not assert a violation of the FCRA on the basis that they knowingly falsified their prior verification.

As to whether or not what is remaining is accurate, they have verified it to be so.  It may not fix their reporting in the manner you consider to be accurate, but if they stand by their position, that concludes their obligation under the direct dispute process.

To get resolution as to the contested accuracy is beyond the scope of the dispute process, and in my opinion, not an issue for the CFPB unless you have support for asserting that their position is blatantly incorrect, and thus knowingly false.

The next step might require getting the evidence before a court who has authotity to review all the evidence of both parties, and make a binding determiantion as to accuracy or inaccuracy.

As always, thank you.  It is very disappointing the OC can be at the very least "sloppy" in fulfilling their obligations and our options, without significant time and perhaps costs, are somewhat limited.

I will take one more swing at the ball to see what I can do.

You would think that after so many letters, it would have been passed on to someone else.

Why "reconsider" after being told it was accurate and now it is not?

They do have an obligation to report accurately.  At the very least they should include something showing why they are stating it is accurate.  Regulations, guidelines etc.

Message 12 of 17
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@tomfromrictmame wrote:

@RobertEG wrote:

As I view it, they have reconsidered their prior blanket verification, and decided to provide updates of certain information.

The implication that by updating they admit inaccuracy may be true, but it does not necessarily establish that their prior verification was knowingling inaccurate.

It may have been a less than thorough first investigation, but they have now agreed to correct.

Thus, I would not assert a violation of the FCRA on the basis that they knowingly falsified their prior verification.

As to whether or not what is remaining is accurate, they have verified it to be so.  It may not fix their reporting in the manner you consider to be accurate, but if they stand by their position, that concludes their obligation under the direct dispute process.

To get resolution as to the contested accuracy is beyond the scope of the dispute process, and in my opinion, not an issue for the CFPB unless you have support for asserting that their position is blatantly incorrect, and thus knowingly false.

The next step might require getting the evidence before a court who has authotity to review all the evidence of both parties, and make a binding determiantion as to accuracy or inaccuracy.

As always, thank you.  It is very disappointing the OC can be at the very least "sloppy" in fulfilling their obligations and our options, without significant time and perhaps costs, are somewhat limited.

I will take one more swing at the ball to see what I can do.

You would think that after so many letters, it would have been passed on to someone else.

Why "reconsider" after being told it was accurate and now it is not?

They do have an obligation to report accurately.  At the very least they should include something showing why they are stating it is accurate.  Regulations, guidelines etc.

I completely agree.  At the very least lazy and sloppy.  But as I said, I'm formulating my next step and I will put on the full court press.

AMEX Platinum NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards Visa $50K | NFCU Sig Visa $27K | Chase Marriott Rewards Visa $25K | AMEX Delta Skymiles $25K | BofA Sig Visa $25K | First Tech Odyssey MC $25K | AMEX HHonors Surpass $23K | Chase United Club Unlimited Visa $20K | Barclays AAdvantage WMC $17K | NFCU LOC $15K | NASA Platinum Visa $15K| NFCU Sig Visa $14K
Message 13 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 14 of 17
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Have cited any of the FCRA paragraphs, credit reporting guidelines etc?

Only in a very general way:.

Company responded 

JPMorgan Chase said:
Explanation of closure 
Our records confirm the account is not currently reporting to your TransUnion credit file; however, Experian and Equifax are continuing to report the account.  We have investigated your claim that the account is not reporting accurately, and have submitted the following updates to your Equifax credit file:

•	Closure date of May 2006
•	150+ days past due in October 2009

We encourage you to obtain and review a copy of your credit file after allowing sufficient time for the credit reporting agencies to update your credit profile.  If a discrepancy is found, you may wish to advise the agency reflecting the error.  I have provided the credit-reporting agencies' information below:

Experian
Post Office Box 2002
Allen, TX 75013
www.experian.com
1-888-397-3742	Equifax
Post Office Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
www.equifax.com
1-800-685-1111	TransUnion
Post Office Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
www.transunion.com
1-800-888-4213

Please understand that we are required to furnish the exact manner in which the account has been maintained.  To do otherwise would misrepresent the validity and accuracy of the information contained in your credit report.  Therefore, we are unable to comply with your request to delete the account from your Equifax and Experian credit file.  

Message 15 of 17
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant have you cited the FCRA and/or guidelines to how they are reporting incorrectly?

Message 16 of 17
tomfromrictmame
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Sorry, that was a typo.  I meant have you cited the FCRA and/or guidelines to how they are reporting incorrectly?

Absolutely.  I used the Direct Dispute in your sig as a guide :-)

Dear Sir/Madam,

This is a Notice of Direct Dispute with you, under the provisions of FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), of the accuracy of information you have reported to my credit file.

In compliance with FCRA §623(a)(8)(D), and enacting regulations published at  16 CFR § 660.4, this Notice of Direct dispute includes:

Chase Card Services Account #...

Basis for the dispute:

1. You reported Date Closed as 05/2006 with Equifax while not verifying any Closed Date with Experian.  Further, you reported and verified Date of Last Payment as 07/2010 with Equifax.

2. You reported Current Status as CHARGE-OFF with Equifax and verified Current Status as Paid in Settlement with Experian.

3. You reported Comments: Account closed at consumers request with Equifax.  I never requested the account to be closed.

Supporting documentation:

I have included copies of the relevant page(s) from all 3 Credit Bureaus.

In accordance with the FCRA §623(a)(8)(D) you must remove this information.

Sincerely,

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.