cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need assistance with BofA

tag
ntaltham

Need assistance with BofA

Hello, I am new here so please excuse me if I am writing this in the wrong spot. I am having some difficulty with an old BoA credit card. I recently checked my credit report after a year or two. I opened the credit card in 2003. I closed it August of 2009 and paid the remaining balence. I had been laid off and wanted to make sure I didnt have a credit card I could not pay. Low and behold on my credit report, it does list the account as closed for 7 months, then it goes into late payments, then ND, then OK, then closed two more times. I contacted BoA immediatly and was passed around for almost 2 hours on the phone. No one could tell me anything. They said the account was too old. I disputed this online and all I recieved back to experian was "remains". I contacted experian and was told that BoA has to verify the debt in order for them to keep putting it on my credit report. Im so frustrated and discouraged. Does anyone have any advice, Id greatly appreciate it. Thank you Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need assistance with BofA

The problem with these types of disputes usually fall to eOscar.  The automated system for dealing with disputes.   More often than not, it just gets sanitized in its processing and gets verified.

If it is showing late payments after you paid it off, then this is incorrect reporting.  I would file a direct dispute with BoA and thereby bypass the eOscar system.  

Take a look at the link below.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
ntaltham

Thank you for responding. I also cannot even get the account number for my letter. I only have the partial from my credit report. If they cannot access my account I am not sure how they can verify the debt. You would recommend the dispute rather than the deby verification? Also, do I need any proof for a dispute? I dont have any unfortunatly other than the report saying my account was closed three seperate times. I find all of this so confusing. I am hopeful I can fix it somehow.

Thank you

Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, a direct dispute would be the way to go.  You wouldn't do a DV because that is for Collection Agencies, not the Original Creditors such as BoA in this case.  

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
ntaltham

Thank you

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.