cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help! Credit is Low 500's. How do I start rebuilding

tag
eyeswideshut

Need help! Credit is Low 500's. How do I start rebuilding

Hi,  I'm new to this board.  I have made dumb mistakes my entire life.  I am finally fed up with not having good credit.  I tried applying for a secured credit card today and was denied.  I really just need to know where to start.  My car recently got repossessed also.  So I have no credit cards, no bank accounts, no car.  I can't get an apartment through a broker because my score is bad and  I have a judgement against me from a previous apartment complex.  I would like to buy a house, get a car and be a normal human being!  I just recently got a new job paying good money.  Someone please help!  Just need to know where to start.  

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BRUUUCE

Re: Need help! Credit is Low 500's. How do I start rebuilding

I was in your exact boat except for the judgement. The first thing, imo, is to get a bank account again. That's more of a life thing than a credit thing. If you don't have a checking account - you pretty much can't get anything else you want. I went to Chase and got what I think was a called a limited checking account. Per Google, "second chance" is the keyword for you to research. It's a pretty crappy account but you have to take it. Monthly fees, spending limits, 0 perks. But that's where I started years back. Jumped from low 400s to high 500s in a couple years and I was no where near as pro-active as anyone on this forum.

Message 2 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@eyeswideshut wrote:

Hi,  I'm new to this board.  I have made dumb mistakes my entire life.  I am finally fed up with not having good credit.  I tried applying for a secured credit card today and was denied.  I really just need to know where to start.  My car recently got repossessed also.  So I have no credit cards, no bank accounts, no car.  I can't get an apartment through a broker because my score is bad and  I have a judgement against me from a previous apartment complex.  I would like to buy a house, get a car and be a normal human being!  I just recently got a new job paying good money.  Someone please help!  Just need to know where to start.  

Thank you!!

Calm down, first.

You will always find someone who is/was worse-off then yourself. The very first thing you need to do is get your credit reports and post up the details on the forum so we can help. 

A couple of guidelines:

1. Stop applying for stuff. You're only causing more damage.

2. This will take time. Rebuilding DOES NOT happen overnight.

3. You WILL get frustrated, discouraged, pissed off, etc. Just remember, you got yourself into this, now you have to get yourself out.

You definitely need a checking account. I know I often think to myself how I managed 14yrs ago without one. It sucks, get one.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 3 of 9
eyeswideshut

I've been using a debit card that charges fee's for just about anything, checking balance - $.50, ATM withdrawal - $5.00, monthly fee - $9.00.  A pre-paid debit card.  

I'm going to check with a bank here in my home town this afternoon.  Thank you for steering me in the right direction!  I'll keep you posted!

Message 4 of 9
eyeswideshut

I'm going to order my credit reports now.  Should I order from all three?  I'm sorry but I am new to this.  You are absolutely right though!  It's so easy to get the credit/money/responsibility and make a mess of it.  Putting it all together, the hard part, is what I need to work on.  I'll post my details as soon as I get the reports in my hand.  Thank you, thank you!

Message 5 of 9
madmann26
Valued Contributor

A local CU would be your absolute best bet imo.

They are much more understanding and forgiving imo.

Good luck.

We're all here to help each other.

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 6 of 9
macuserftw
Regular Contributor

I've recently started rebuilding myself after originally joining here a little over a year ago with my credit score being a meager 557 - and now I'm sitting at a 580. Rebuilding takes time so, patience will be key here - this doesn't happen overnight. Like previous posts mention, try posting some details on your current financial situation - like DOFD or last activity on your derogatory marks/accounts.

In regards to where you should start...

First you need to open up a Checking / Savings account. Try researching some local Credit Unions in your area as they are there to actually help people in our situation. A local credit union is ideal, because you can actually grow a relationship with them. Stop applying for credit as more inquiries make your credit profile look even worse! Which secured credit card did you apply for? Some secured cards have tougher requirements than others - just because it's secured doesn't mean anyone can get it. The secured card from SDFCU is highly regarded on these forums - and if you don't want another hard pull on your credit, try the OpenSky secured card. Another suggestion that I took myself is applying for the Fingerhut Fresh Start program. You'll start out with a low line of credit through Fingerhut - an online retailer. Once you pay off one of their items through a simple installment loan, you'll automatically graduate into a revolving line of credit with them (like a store card).

Manage your secured credit cards responsibly while never EVER letting your utilization go over 30% - ideally you should try to keep them around 10% and pay off your balances to avoid paying higher interest rates. Keep this up for awhile and you should see improvements over time. Try to work on the bad marks in your credit file. Be patient and don't get discouraged!

Message 7 of 9
Whitneyy
Valued Contributor

@eyeswideshut wrote:

I've been using a debit card that charges fee's for just about anything, checking balance - $.50, ATM withdrawal - $5.00, monthly fee - $9.00.  A pre-paid debit card.  

I'm going to check with a bank here in my home town this afternoon.  Thank you for steering me in the right direction!  I'll keep you posted!

Suntrust bank does not use chexsystems and you can apply online and then go make your deposit in person.

GOAL - 700 FICO across the board!
Message 8 of 9
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

I understand TD Bank will open accounts for ppl on Chexsystems
April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.