cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help! Do I pay this off? What to do!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help! Do I pay this off? What to do!

Okay so I have a few debts on my fico score and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clea them. I'm going to start one at a time. I have a Suntrust Credit card That was opened in Sept 2006 and has a last activity date of March 2009. It has 27 90+ days late on it.  And is a charged off account. The limit for the card wwas 500$ and the balance is at 772. I have the money to pay it off, but I want to be smart about it. What should be my next steps? PFD? Let it fall off and then pay it? Don't pay it? I have the money to pay all my debts, but I want to do it in a way that is most beneficial for me. Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help! Do I pay this off? What to do!

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so I have a few debts on my fico score and I'm trying to figure out the best way to clea them. I'm going to start one at a time. I have a Suntrust Credit card That was opened in Sept 2006 and has a last activity date of March 2009. It has 27 90+ days late on it.  And is a charged off account. The limit for the card wwas 500$ and the balance is at 772. I have the money to pay it off, but I want to be smart about it. What should be my next steps? PFD? Let it fall off and then pay it? Don't pay it? I have the money to pay all my debts, but I want to do it in a way that is most beneficial for me. Thank you!

The DoFD is going to set the time clock for the max credit reporting time and states SOL not the DOLA. If its past states SOL and its updating monthly I would send them a PFD, and even if they dont accept it I would still pay them to stop the monthly reporting as doing this keeps your score depressed. If its not updating monthly I think I would just leave them alone at let it drop normally, if you do send the PFD and they dont accept it, it could trigger an update. Updating a CO or a CA account that hasnt reported in awhile drops your Fico as it looks new in the eyes of the Fico scoring system.

Message 2 of 5
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So here's the deal. You have less than 2 years till the thing falls off your credit report. 7 years from March 2009 is March 2016. If you just have to have it deleted now no matter what, okay, go ahead and pay. If you can wait it out for another year and 8 months or so, then do that. The other alternative is to call up whoever holds the debt now and tell them you would like to settle the debt for less than what is owed - for a debt that is less than 2 years away from falling off your credit reports, I wouldn't pay a penny over 25%.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The date of status is April 2014. So I guess it stopped reporting then?

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

The date of status is April 2014. So I guess it stopped reporting then?

It may have but its a recent reporting so your Fico wont be affected much if they update it from a PFD attempt. Your choice.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.