Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help/advice on collections!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help/advice on collections!

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong section or if I ask obvious questions. Earlier I decided to check out creditkarma, partly for fun and partly out of curiousity. Upon registering, I noticed that I had 2 accounts in collections. One is from Optimum Outomes for $416, and the other is from Medical Data Systems inc for $1568. The former has been there since Sep 23 2011, while the latter has been there since Feb 28 2012. I also saw one from Credit Protection with a 0 balance that says it was closed on 12/31/1969. (I paid this off many years ago before even hearing about PFD). 

Now, I'm new to all of this stuff and am completely lost as to what I should do from here. I was hoping to buy a house next year, and I'm sure I'll be denied due to this. Could someone direct me in the right direction to get these three things off of my credit report? I was reading all night about these situations, but there were so many abbreviations that I couldn't figure out for the life of me.

Since I paid off Credit Protection, it is too late to ask for a PTD correct? Any advice what I should do regarding this? Also, any suggestions regarding the two open collections?

I know this is off topic but I figured I'd throw it out there. I have been an authorized user for my brother's AMEX and Discover card for nearly 9 years. Both cards are almost maxed, and I was told I should be taken off to make my credit look better. AMEX seems to have taken me off, but Discover has yet to do so. We've called multiple times regarding this issue. Is calling in and asking them to take me out not enough? I know I asked a ton of questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to get my credit up by this time next year as these are the only things hindering me. Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
itswink
New Contributor

Re: Need help/advice on collections!

Send a DV letter to Optimum Outomes, if they verify, send a PFD.

Send a GW letter to the paid one.

For the medical google the HIPAA process, it cant be discussed here.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. The Optimum Outcomes is connected to the same incident when I went to the hospital as the other collection. Would I be able to do the HIPAA process for that as well?

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick question. When going through the HIPAA process, do the collections need to be paid off? I ask because I'm a little strapped for cash, and was hoping to lower the owed amount (a settlement if you will.) Is this still a viable option, or am I completely on the wrong track?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

bump

Message 5 of 7
zsepthenne
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong section or if I ask obvious questions. Earlier I decided to check out creditkarma, partly for fun and partly out of curiousity. Upon registering, I noticed that I had 2 accounts in collections. One is from Optimum Outomes for $416, and the other is from Medical Data Systems inc for $1568. The former has been there since Sep 23 2011, while the latter has been there since Feb 28 2012. I also saw one from Credit Protection with a 0 balance that says it was closed on 12/31/1969. (I paid this off many years ago before even hearing about PFD). 

Now, I'm new to all of this stuff and am completely lost as to what I should do from here. I was hoping to buy a house next year, and I'm sure I'll be denied due to this. Could someone direct me in the right direction to get these three things off of my credit report? I was reading all night about these situations, but there were so many abbreviations that I couldn't figure out for the life of me.

Since I paid off Credit Protection, it is too late to ask for a PTD correct? Any advice what I should do regarding this? Also, any suggestions regarding the two open collections?

I know this is off topic but I figured I'd throw it out there. I have been an authorized user for my brother's AMEX and Discover card for nearly 9 years. Both cards are almost maxed, and I was told I should be taken off to make my credit look better. AMEX seems to have taken me off, but Discover has yet to do so. We've called multiple times regarding this issue. Is calling in and asking them to take me out not enough? I know I asked a ton of questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm really trying to get my credit up by this time next year as these are the only things hindering me. Thanks in advance! 

Is this date correct, 1969? I don't even think things from the government are allowed to be on your report that long!! That should be disputed as being WAAAYY past the statue of limitations.

People aren't allowed to answer questions about the HIPPA process here. You will have to Google as another user said.

Beginning Scores 9/2013: EX 651, TU 639 Short term goals: Scores in the mid 700s 1/15 TU08 701| 4/2018 TU08 800!! |11/2019 TU 785
CapOne Quicksilver $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard $6900 | Amex Everyday $15000 | Discover It $13000 | Cap One Walmart Mastercard $8000 | BofA Cash Rewards $3200 | CareCredit $7200 | Citibank Double Cash $10500 | Chase AARP $5500
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@zsepthenne wrote:

Is this date correct, 1969? I don't even think things from the government are allowed to be on your report that long!! That should be disputed as being WAAAYY past the statue of limitations.

People aren't allowed to answer questions about the HIPPA process here. You will have to Google as another user said.

Yes, that date is indeed correct. I probably paid that off in 2010 or 2011. I don't even know how it came to be 1969. I thought it was a way of "closing" the account or something.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.