Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help deciding next steps with paid/satisfied judgment

tag
windupbird
New Contributor

Need help deciding next steps with paid/satisfied judgment

I am in Massachusetts.  I have a paid judgment from July 2011.  I was painfully naive and unaware of the motion to vacate process.  In Mass., it's possible to get a judgment vacated within a year with good cause.  Well, it's now 15 months on and I have tried to convince the plaintiff's attorney and Capital One to vacate and they won't/can't.  So I contacted an attorney for help.  She was very forthcoming about the fact that because over a year has passed, it's possible to vacate but might prove very difficult.  Attorney wants $500 up front just to evaluate the case and review the file (equivalent of two hours of work)......likely will cost alot more than that to get some sort of resolution (in my favor or not).

I don't know what to do.  Do I take a chance and spend alot of money trying to vacate the judgment risking failure or do I use that money to pay other bills, and just live with the paid judgment on my report for the next 6 1/2 years???

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

Re: Need help deciding next steps with paid/satisfied judgment

If you have other collections, lates, baddies, I would save my money. Pay off some of your other balances, the oldes first. Remember, it took time to get to where you are today with your mess. You have just begun your journey. It could take seven years (not knowing what information is in your account) to right the ship. good luck

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 2 of 4
windupbird
New Contributor

Thank you.  Why should I pay the oldest first - I intend to pay everything, but I thought that the more recent negative items have the most impact?  I have chargeoffs and collections.  TU only has one HSBC collection, I just PIF-ed and sent a GW to the CA.  EQ has three collections (two medicals, just sent EQ the first HIPAA letter) and the HSBC collection that I just paid.  I also have three old charged off accounts that are from 2007-2010.  All of my open accounts (student loans - paid on time for 3 1/2 years straight) and new Cap One account are paid on time.

Message 3 of 4
ashdown1967
New Contributor

Yes pay the most recent ones first they are hurting your score more than the old ones.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.