cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting started rebuilding credit (on a budget)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help getting started rebuilding credit (on a budget)

I'm no expert, but generally what I've read on here is apply for both Cap1s that you're prequaled for. If you do them both on the same day, it only counts as one inquiry. They're both pretty good cards!
From what else I've read here, the most bang for your buck is to have 3 cards. So you'd need to get one more. maybe try Barclay? Their prequal is not quite as straightforward as cap1 though. I guess if you get a firm APR and not a range, it is a good indicator that you'll be approved.
Also you'll need some sort of installment loan, if you don't have one already. If you don't, you could do a shared secure loan from a credit union. You mention being on a budget, you'd have to fork over prob $500 up front, so you wouldn't have use of it for a couple days while the loan processes, but then you get it back and make payments.
After you apply and get the cards, the rest is simple. Use em as much as you can and pay them off!! It sounds like you're in a pretty decent credit situation already though.

As for the credit score checking, I use Credit Check Total. It's pretty decent. You get the first week for $1, then I guess you can call and try to cancel and they'll offer you it for $14.95/mo instead of $29.99/mo. I didn't do this, but I've seen others on here who have.
You can also sign up for credit karma for free, those aren't true scores, but it allows you to see changes to your Equifax and TransUnion reports, and also gives you a general idea what your score is doing.

HTH
Message 11 of 16
ORllyNao
Regular Contributor

Just be careful when doing the credit card prequalifications. There's a difference between being preapproved/prequalified and them showing you recommended cards you might like. I always look for the "Congratulations! You're preapproved for..." type of messages, because sometimes it will just say something like "Here's the card we found for you" or something along those lines, and that is not a preapproval. 

FICO 8 | March 2023
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover prequalifier is junk
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice... I applied for both Capital One cards, got approved, and they came in the mail today. I was going to go back and get a third card from Barclay. I tried to find the prequalifier link I tried earlier. It seems to just redirect back to the main page of the site. Do they not do prequalifications any more?

Message 14 of 16
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice... I applied for both Capital One cards, got approved, and they came in the mail today. I was going to go back and get a third card from Barclay. I tried to find the prequalifier link I tried earlier. It seems to just redirect back to the main page of the site. Do they not do prequalifications any more?

I saw in another post that the Barclay's pre qual was gone, As far as Barclay goes, they like at least 6 months of positive history.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK... that's kind of what I thought. If I have the two Capital One cards, what is a good third card to get?

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.