cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help getting started rebuilding credit (on a budget)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help getting started rebuilding credit (on a budget)

Just need a little help heading in the right direction. I know there's a lot of helpful threads here, but I wasn't sure where to begin. On my credit report, the most negative thing is a state tax lien (paid off a year or two ago). I also had a bankruptcy which left my records around November of last year (discharge was in 2005). Other than that, there's not much else there.

What's a good game plan to start with? My wife has been out of work for almost a year now, so we don't have a whole lot of spare cash. Do I need to put a lot of money into secured credit cards?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help getting started rebuilding credit (on a budget)

You don't say if you have any cards? But because you mentioned secured I'll assume not. Your best bet is to try the pre-qualifier's for Cap1, Discover, Barclay etc. Do not apply come back & post what is offered & I'm sure some one will give you an idea if it is worth the HP. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I have no cards at all currently. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Where do I go for the pre-qualifiers? Do I visit the individual websites?

Message 3 of 16
EmmaGolden
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I have no cards at all currently. Sorry I forgot to mention that. Where do I go for the pre-qualifiers? Do I visit the individual websites?

Yes, they each have a pre-qual or get your offer, I think Discover calls it. Do not apply, come back & some one will help you. Discovers messages are a bit tricky.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry if I seem a little lost...I went to a page on the Barclaycard site that says "Proactive Prescreen".  After putting in my info, it came up with the Barclaycard CashForward card, and the Barclaycard Arrival Plus card. I haven't tried applying yet. Did I go to the right place?

Message 5 of 16
AutoBot
Established Contributor

Go here and click the link (FInd out in 60 Seconds) at the bottom....

Capital One Prequalify

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, thanks for the link... that one came up with the VentureOne Rewards card and the Quicksilver Rewards card

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OK, thanks for the link... that one came up with the VentureOne Rewards card and the Quicksilver Rewards card

Based on the responses you've been getting you're not in as bad a situation as you might think. I'll let the more experienced speak to how you should handle the offers but you are not getting the entry level replies, especially from Cap1 so smileSmiley Very Happy you're not starting as low as some of us did.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Any further opinion on this? I was kind of looking for a general game plan. I'm not sure what to do at this point. I don't think my credit history is showing much that is bad at this point, but it doesn't show much that's good. Should I just apply for a couple of unsecured cards and see what happens? What's a good (and cheap) way to keep track of my scores on a regular basis?

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would start with applying for Cap1 Quicksilver card. That was the first card I was approved for when I started rebuilding.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.