Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on scores and what to do

tag
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Need help on scores and what to do

My Fico says 568 (Equifax) My Equifax says 616 TransUnion says 606 and Experian is just under 700

I have a Bnkrsy from 08, 1 collection account that says paid from 09, and a Student Loan that I was not

notified via mail, only email that went to an old shared email account that was on file with the college from 1992.

I did not find out the lending institution until I pulled my credit report last year.  I was 180 days late, whcih is like

a bullet to my head.  I still can NOT believe this happened. 

At any event.  How do I build.  I've been told to get revolving credit card.  Each bureau has recommended various ones

from Discover, to Barclay to Capital One and some unknown names.  I need to apply to move these numbers.  I also have

a 5th 3rd secured card which is paid on time.  BTW I have NO lates for over 6months.  That student loan was from March13-Oct13

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Re: Need help on scores and what to do

There is also Chase and Citi that TU recommended.  Should I wait until my score goes up or apply now?  My debt to income ratio is 2%

Message 2 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@Drsgwld wrote:

There is also Chase and Citi that TU recommended.  Should I wait until my score goes up or apply now?  My debt to income ratio is 2%

I wouldn't pull the trigger on either of these right now, your scores and report just aren't there yet.  You do need revoving though, even with a cleaner report, you would need some work before moving up the ladder to higher tier creditors.

I would suggest a couple of secured cards to start with.  Garden them for 6 months while working on cleaning up your reports.  This would put you in a much better position to go for unsecured cards.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 7
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I was thinking about waiting too.  GL studnet loan officer adviced that I keep disputing with the credit union.  She said there is a good chance it will slip by them and they will have to pull the old lates.

Message 4 of 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Drsgwld wrote:

My Fico says 568 (Equifax) My Equifax says 616 TransUnion says 606 and Experian is just under 700

I have a Bnkrsy from 08, 1 collection account that says paid from 09, and a Student Loan that I was not

notified via mail, only email that went to an old shared email account that was on file with the college from 1992.

I did not find out the lending institution until I pulled my credit report last year.  I was 180 days late, whcih is like

a bullet to my head.  I still can NOT believe this happened. 

At any event.  How do I build.  I've been told to get revolving credit card.  Each bureau has recommended various ones

from Discover, to Barclay to Capital One and some unknown names.  I need to apply to move these numbers.  I also have

a 5th 3rd secured card which is paid on time.  BTW I have NO lates for over 6months.  That student loan was from March13-Oct13

First the ads that say which cards you may get .........is marketing / sponsorship so never app according to that or the words pre-approval, pre-qualified, pre-selected 

None of them are guaranteed at most it's a 50/50% chance of approval 

How to increase your odds is by raising scores by not applying for credit at the current moment.

Continue to work on your CR's while building AAoA, scores and payment history 

The easiest and best way to ensure an approval is with strong CR's 

The 3 scores you have listed are probably FAKO except for the myFico score and if IIRC I think one of the CB's has a true Fico (EQ) IIRC but you really have to search for it to find it.....you'll know if you look at it and it say Fico

Other than that their educational scores and chances are not even close to your true Fico scores

Good luck 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 7
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I got a call from my student loan lender stating they have some exciting news that she can't wait to share. She said she has worked endlessly on my case today. I ask for 2 things. They change policy on identifying themselves to make contact and not to rely on emails when they have physical addresses and to remove the negative 3/13-10/13 delinquent reports. Since knowing my loan was ready to be repaid and the name of the lender, I have NEVER been late and I pay more than the minimum. That is what I want on my credit report.

If they remove the lates and bring my loan paid current, how much could this effect my credit score/report standing?
Message 6 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I hope it improves it a bunch!!!!  and.....

freshprince-1.gif

Happy Dance!!!!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.