Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help paying a judgment asap

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help paying a judgment asap

I have a judgement from HFC (who merged with HSBC) from 2009 that I need to pay right away. I contacted a lawyer 3 weeks ago and he's conacted the firm that represented HFC and says he hasn't gotten a response from them to settle it. I also called the country clerk of court to see if I could pay them and they said I would need a lawyer to get a judge to order I can pay the clerk office. Is there anything else I can do? I'm preapproved for a mortgage but a condition is to have this settled of course.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help paying a judgment asap

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a judgement from HFC (who merged with HSBC) from 2009 that I need to pay right away. I contacted a lawyer 3 weeks ago and he's conacted the firm that represented HFC and says he hasn't gotten a response from them to settle it. I also called the country clerk of court to see if I could pay them and they said I would need a lawyer to get a judge to order I can pay the clerk office. Is there anything else I can do? I'm preapproved for a mortgage but a condition is to have this settled of course.

I would suggest you work with your lawyer on settling this judgment. The last thing you want is for the judgment creditor to find out your trying to close on a home loan as there will be no deals on the amount and you most likely will be paying the full amount plus years of interest.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

When you say you are attempted to settle, do you mean that you are attempting to negotiate a settlement for less than the full amount?

If so, they certainly require time to consider your offer.

If time is of the essence, then simply paying the full amount removes need for negotiations........

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes trying to negotiate a settlement. My lawyer find out  that the original law firm representing the creditor closed their file and another firm has it. I guess they sold the debt? Hopefully some progress.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Even if the new owner receives your settlement offer, it is an offer for less than the full debt, and thus they have no obligation to respond.

Having a court order in their pocket requiring payment of the full debt does not put the consumer on strong footing to negotiate a payment for less, assuming the judgment is still in force.

If satisfaction of the debt is a requirment for approval of your mortgage application, you may not be in a strong postion to obtain a settlement for less.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.