cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help raising score ....so frustrating.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help raising score ....so frustrating.

Here is my situation. I was terrible with credit when I was younger. Now I have a family of 5. I have been working on getting my credit back on track but nothing have really raised my score. Below are some details. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now I'm stuck at 585.
Open Accounts
CC - $2250 Balance = $2280
CC - $2000 Balance = $2028
Child Support - $507 Payments Current

Collections
Utility - $558 Will be removed on 06/2017
Medical - $100 Only a year old.
Medical - $605 Will be removed 04/2017
Utility - $477 Will be removed 08/2017
Medical - $913 Will be removed 04/2018

I also have 65k in student loans that are all current.

I planned on paying the $100 collection and bring down the balances on at least 1 CC in the next week. What are my best options to raise my score. Thank you!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help raising score ....so frustrating.

Honestly you just have a lot of cleaning up to do. Paying off those balances (lowering utilization) and cleaning up your negative items is what you need. Those two categories combined constitute 2/3 of your score.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I assume the my best course of action is to pay down my cc debt and let the collection that are 7 years old fall off the report. Is that correct?

Message 3 of 6
enjoimorenow
Frequent Contributor

Yes!  Paying down your balances is going to be the most effective because right now you are over 100% uti.  Work on paying those down.  Try to get the higher interest one paid off first, then work on the other one.

I would also work on the Medical collection since it is recent.  Try to contact them and offer to PIF if they delete it from your credit report, and make sure you get it in writing before you pay!

You can write GW letters for the others, or try early exclusions with the CBs but since they will fall off in a couple of months I'd focus on the other stuff.

Once you accomplish those, your best bet is to get another revolving credit line.  Make sure that 2 are PIF to zero balance BEFORE the statement cuts, and the other has less than 10% uti to optimize your scores.  Depending on your scores now and your interest rates on your cards, you may want to consider just apping for a card now that will give you 0% interest for ___ months on balance transfers and use it to pay off your other two cards, then pay down your new card before you start getting charged interest.

Also, if you don't have an installment account, you should look into a $500 or $1000 secured loan, but again, most important is to get those balances down on your current cards and try to PFD on your medical.  Those will have the biggest impacts on your scores!

BK 7 Scores (08/2016): EQ-528. TU-486. EX-530.
Current Scores (04/2022): EQ-717. TU-735. EX-736.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I assume the my best course of action is to pay down my cc debt and let the collection that are 7 years old fall off the report. Is that correct?

Very solid advice in the previous post above.

Yes paying down and off your CC debt is the best thing you could possibly do for your scores right now. 

Second to that is doing whatever you can to get negatives removed, starting with the most recent.  Don't worry so much about anything that is 5-7 years old as most of that will fall off relatively soon.  Target anything recent as items from the last couple of years have both the most negative impact on your scores and will be sticking around for the longest amount of time on your reports.

Message 5 of 6
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I am going to send you a quick PM.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.