Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help rebuilding

Okay so I was a bad girl in my college days and didnt pay my bills...I know I know...but now I am trying to get my act together so I can get a mortgage and need help figuring out the next steps...I checked my credit report and heres what's on there:

Medical Collections-  11 accounts totalling $9000

Credit Card- 1 That I received a letter that will be taken off within 30 days and the other is 5 years old opened at $1200 now up to $2300

1 Electric bill that i did NOT open but they say is verified. for $262 last payment in 2011

1 military debt originally $3500 now paid down to $650 but I want to somehow have them remove it from my report if Paid In Full

1 TMobile bill $200 that I am in contact with them for slamming and cramming and they keep changing the opened day now by 5 years!!

I have 4 positives on my account    2 student loans PIF as agreed no late

capital one card with $600 credit at 10% util. opened 09/2014 

1 fingerhut card with $300 credit at 5% util opened last month

any recommendations as to what to pay or do would be helpful!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help rebuilding

I'd suggest apping for another Cap one card, and one more bank card. Barclays might be a good one.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

recent collections, try PFD

5-6 yrs old collections, just let them fall off your CR in a year or two

u want 3-4 CC reporting. i say get a BOA secured card and it will grow with you.  dont bother with another cap one since their secured card will never grow with you.

Message 3 of 9
tiger_uppercut
Established Contributor

Agree with Norman, you should qualify for a Capital One Quicksilver One or Platinum unsecured card. Check the prequalifier (I suggest Quicksilver One as you will get 1.5% cash back on all purchases):

https://findmycard.capitalone.com/en/PageVersions/LandingPages/LP_UNS_QUICK_RWD_V01.aspx

If you can't get an unsecured card, go for a secured card. Bank of America, as richard suggested....or a credit union if you're a member of any. Who do you bank with?

Now to the baddies. Please provide more info, as in the DOFD for all.

I need more information on the medical collections. How recent are they? Do you have any funds to throw at those debts? Have you tried calling the hospital to check the original balances against your insurance and see if there are hardship programs?

T-Mobile is the OC, I would pursue the cramming route, but if not you can try a PFD.

Need more information on the electric bill. How did you dispute it? Is it under your name/address?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of the medical is within the past 3-4 years. I didnt have medical insurance and wasnt making enough money to stay afloat. Most are with 1 company The Thomas Agency.  All the DOFD is what i mistakenly worded as OPENED date. The electric bil I disputed via the 3 CRA's to no avail.  I think I answered everything...? Might have missed a question.  Also Discover Card Secured app was successful (duh its secured) but not sure I should put 200 towards another CC and add another CC.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

All of the medical is within the past 3-4 years. I didnt have medical insurance and wasnt making enough money to stay afloat. Most are with 1 company The Thomas Agency.  All the DOFD is what i mistakenly worded as OPENED date. The electric bil I disputed via the 3 CRA's to no avail.  I think I answered everything...? Might have missed a question.  Also Discover Card Secured app was successful (duh its secured) but not sure I should put 200 towards another CC and add another CC.

do you plan on getting a mortgage soon?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am hoping within the next year to get a mortgage. I am working on using my VA loan once I get a COE. but also considering USDA RD as well.

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

First thing is check and see if you qualify for charity aid, you contact the hospital or docs billing office.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

For all other collectors besides medical just eliminate step 3. Good luck on your credit journey Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much! I will try that and let you know! I am also starting a Discover Secured Card tomorrow.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.