Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help repairing credit!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help repairing credit!

Hey everyone, just like a lot of people on here, I'm looking to repair my credit and have found some very useful information on the boards. I'd like to give my personalized situation to see if anyone can help me out with my specific issues. I haven't paid to get my FICO score yet, however on credit karma I'm seeing in the 540's, and on FCR.com I was in the 550's.

On my report I have 16 negative marks, wow! This is tricky though, because 9 of them are from Sallie Mae (student loan) that was 60 days past due in January. I caught back up in February and have been on time ever since, however there are 9 different negative line items from that January mark. The same applies to Nelnet which is responsible for 4 of those negative marks, I am currently up to date with them as well. My question is, how hard is it to get these removed, and what is the best way? I would assume a friendly call should do the trick, or a letter?

Edit: friendly call didn't do the trick with Sallie Mae, they said they can't fix that negative from January

The other 3 negatives I have are for:

Amazon store card, which was sent to collections and I settled last year

BOA credit card which has been charged off - $1k

Verizon early termination fee which is in collections - $300

I of cousre attempted to tell BOA and Verizon that I would pay in full if they would delete, and "they can't do that". I now plan to try and write a PFD to see if that will work. Should I try it with Amazon as well even though it's already been closed?

I applied and was approved for a Capital 1 secured card yesterday, and it should be on its way now. My goal is to get my score in the mid 600's within 6-8 months for an auto loan, and of course as a stepping stone for excellent credit Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help repairing credit!

Hi and welcome. Sometimes the other members are on another part of my fico s dont be discouraged.  Sallie Mae is tricky.  They are cold but not heartless. Through many conversations with other members on my fico they need to have a reason for the lates albiet a good one. change in address severe illness in family jobloss in family  something they can relate to and empathize with in order to do the good will and delete the prior lates.   Amazon good will explaining hardship.  Verizon point out the lack of sevice you received and that is why you disconnected, and that it is simply bad business for them to incurr a charge because you decided not to do business with them due to their shortcomings.  I hope that helps.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks annie! I actually did move in the month of January, so I'll give that a try. Would a written letter to these places be the best bet?

Message 3 of 4
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Yes snail mail and if you have a fowarding order from post office or if you can get a letter from postmaster all the better Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.