cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding how to build back my credit!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help understanding how to build back my credit!!

I'm currently serving in Iraq for the fourth time in 6 years. I have received some 30 and 60 day late payments on my credit report because of it. Is there any law or process I can go through to have them removed? I have since gotten divorced and my wife has several accounts on my credit report that I didn't open or cosign for, although I was an authorized user on a couple. Am I responsible for the debit? Lastly, because of the several late payments which has dropped my score, as I make regular on time payments will these continue to account against my score?

I would appreciate any help or advice on how to get my credit score from bad to good again.
Thanks greatly

J

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help understanding how to build back my credit!!

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm currently serving in Iraq for the fourth time in 6 years. I have received some 30 and 60 day late payments on my credit report because of it. Is there any law or process I can go through to have them removed? I have since gotten divorced and my wife has several accounts on my credit report that I didn't open or cosign for, although I was an authorized user on a couple. Am I responsible for the debit? Lastly, because of the several late payments which has dropped my score, as I make regular on time payments will these continue to account against my score?

I would appreciate any help or advice on how to get my credit score from bad to good again.
Thanks greatly

J

First of all thank you for your service and welcome to the forums.

You can try what are called GW (Good Will) letters to have those lates removed. The creditors are under no obligation to do so but you can try. Hopefully with your military service it will help your situation.

If you were simply an authorized user on an account you are not responsible for any debt incurred on that account. If you were a "joint" account holder that is a different matter. You will be jointly responsible.

Lastly, even though you become current on the account(s) with late payments the damage to your score will continue for some time. That's why it's important to try those GW letters. 

Once again thank you for keeping us safe.

Semper Fi!!!

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.