Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding report entry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help understanding report entry

Hey all, I have a question about where to go with a specific collection. I'm repairing both my own, and my partner's credit report. 

He went to college using his GI bill form the military. Apparently, a tiny percentage of one credit hour was not covered by his GI bill. He never knew about it, graduated fine, got his transcripts. But at some point, the University sent that debt to Collections with ConServe. They've added on their fees so it now shows that he owes $48 (I know it’s a low amount owed) to ConServe. 

On his TU Report it shows up and the info is: 

Account Name: (University Name)

Account Type: Collection

Account Status: Open

Balance: $48

On his Equifax Report  it shows up and the info is:
Account Name: ConServe

Account Status: Closed

Balance $48

On his Experian report it shows up and the info is:

Balance $48

I sent the PFD to ConServe and didn’t get a response, however I’m anticipating a letter that lets me know credit bartering is illegal since that seems to be ConServe’s MO as of late.

My questions:
1) What does it mean that it shows “Open” on the TU with the college listed,  and “Closed” on EQ and EX when listed with the CA.

2) Should I contact the OC (college) and see if they can do anything or let us pay it or keep dealing with ConServe?

At such a low amount, I can PIF but I’m not sure where I should go from here, who is reporting, etc.

Thank you for any insight! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help understanding report entry

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all, I have a question about where to go with a specific collection. I'm repairing both my own, and my partner's credit report. 

He went to college using his GI bill form the military. Apparently, a tiny percentage of one credit hour was not covered by his GI bill. He never knew about it, graduated fine, got his transcripts. But at some point, the University sent that debt to Collections with ConServe. They've added on their fees so it now shows that he owes $48 (I know it’s a low amount owed) to ConServe. 

On his TU Report it shows up and the info is: 

Account Name: (University Name)

Account Status: Open

Balance: $48

On his Equifax Report  it shows up and the info is:

Balance $48

On his Experian report it shows up and the info is:

Balance $48

I sent the PFD to ConServe and didn’t get a response, however I’m anticipating a letter that lets me know credit bartering is illegal since that seems to be ConServe’s MO as of late.

My questions:
1) What does it mean that it shows “Open” on the TU with the college listed,  and “Closed” on EQ and EX when listed with the CA.

2) Should I contact the OC (college) and see if they can do anything or let us pay it or keep dealing with ConServe?

At such a low amount, I can PIF but I’m not sure where I should go from here, who is reporting, etc.

Thank you for any insight! 

Most likely an update error, I would send them a DV in this case since they may no longer have authority to collect and if they dont have authority to collect they have to delete their TL per CRA rules. I would contact the OC to see what they can do for you.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help understanding report entry

Contact the college and ask them nicely if you can pay them. If they accept payment, then the collection account should disappear, if it wouldn't then you can dispute it with your receipt of payment to the college. If the college will not accept payment, then continue to try to get a "pay for delete" with the collection company.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.