Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help understanding what just happened and what to do next :(

tag
stargazer25
Regular Contributor

Re: Need help understanding what just happened and what to do next :(

We all do things b/c we are not patient. 

The biggest thing I would recommend is getting a credit monitoring service like my fico. That way you have a good baseline where you are starting and can follow the trends. I tried CCT but they were really slow on updates compared to my fico. It doesn't matter if the vantage scores go up or down, the Fico scores are what matter b/c that's what lenders/cc use. 

Starting Scores: September 2015 minus 500 across the board
Current Scores: October 2017 EQ: 715 TU: 710 EX: 716
In My Wallet:
Cap1 QS: $4.8K - AMEX BCP: $4.2K - Old Navy Visa: $7K - Nordstrom $3.8K - VS $500 (FTW!)
BofA AU: $12K AMEX AU: $25K
Business: AMEX BCP $15K
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but do you mean that if you pay down your debt to 1-9% vantage will go up and FICO will be negatively affected? 

FICO scores improve when all cards except for one is at a zero balance and one card is at 1-9%.  Your focus should be less on Vantage scores and more on FICO scores as most lenders use those scores for approvals. 

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Out of frustration i applied for an amazon store card and only got a $700 limit, probably because my utilization is high right now, i probably should have waited when they reported again at the end of the month when i paid them off to zero. is that correct? at least i have a store card now so that should help.

Yes you now have 3 tradelines, so UTI should be important to you at this point.  If you are paying Cap 1 multiple times each month, after the 3rd statement cuts, you could request one line a credit limit increase.  Others in the past have used this strategy and gotten an increase before the credit steps kick in and been successful. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

my cap one is an unsecured card and was told it would auto increase after 7 months and i'm almost there. I was denied a discover it card sometime back because of a $169 collection which has been removed and i have no collections on all 3. So you recommend CCT over myfico? i don't mind spending a few bucks to monitor. i've done some reading on credit so i have some basics down but this dumb credit one card messed me up.
Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
my cap one is an unsecured card and was told it would auto increase after 7 months and i'm almost there. I was denied a discover it card sometime back because of a $169 collection which has been removed and i have no collections on all 3. So you recommend CCT over myfico? i don't mind spending a few bucks to monitor. i've done some reading on credit so i have some basics down but this dumb credit one card messed me up.

CCT is different.  It offers daily EX scores and a monthly TU and EQ score.  The FICO 3B offers bank card, mortgage, and auto scores.  Unless you're needing those extra scores, CCT will work for you.  Requesting a CLI from Cap 1 before the steps kick in is a SP, so it won't affect your score and might lead to a higher credit limit.
Message 15 of 19
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CCT is different.  It offers daily EX scores and a monthly TU and EQ score.  The FICO 3B offers bank card, mortgage, and auto scores.  Unless you're needing those extra scores, CCT will work for you.  Requesting a CLI from Cap 1 before the steps kick in is a SP, so it won't affect your score and might lead to a higher credit limit.

I've read A LOT of complaints about MyFico updates. CCT hasn't been slow *for me*. When EX removed my two judgements, my report was updated the next day. They show my updated card payoff's pretty quickly too. But ymmv (your mileage may vary). 

And right now because I need to closely monitor my reports (I want to app for a refi on my car soon), I am just doing the $1 trial twice a month so I get all 3 updated 4x a month. for example, I started a new trial 2/5. I will be able to refresh on 2/12 and then cancel. That's 2 full reports/scores.  I will do it again on 2/19 and have a refresh available on 2/26. Assuming all of my updates have posted I'll be back to monthly monitoring. 

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrsCHX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read A LOT of complaints about MyFico updates. CCT hasn't been slow *for me*. When EX removed my two judgements, my report was updated the next day. They show my updated card payoff's pretty quickly too. But ymmv (your mileage may vary). 

And right now because I need to closely monitor my reports (I want to app for a refi on my car soon), I am just doing the $1 trial twice a month so I get all 3 updated 4x a month. for example, I started a new trial 2/5. I will be able to refresh on 2/12 and then cancel. That's 2 full reports/scores.  I will do it again on 2/19 and have a refresh available on 2/26. Assuming all of my updates have posted I'll be back to monthly monitoring. 

YMMV.

I mainly use CCT, but when I was tracking my scores prior to applying for the Venture card, I would get the 3B report because the Venture and QS use scores other than FICO 8.  CCT is great if you're not needing a wide range of scores, including mortgage and auto scores.    If OP is needing current FICO, then CCT is his/her best bet.

Message 17 of 19
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MrsCHX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

YMMV.

I mainly use CCT, but when I was tracking my scores prior to applying for the Venture card, I would get the 3B report because the Venture and QS use scores other than FICO 8.  CCT is great if you're not needing a wide range of scores, including mortgage and auto scores.    If OP is needing current FICO, then CCT is his/her best bet.

Ah good point. e.g., if you're buying a house soon you'd want the FICO 3B because it differs from the scores offered by most credit cards and CCT and such.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 18 of 19
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

If you've had that Cap One more than three months go online and request a CLI right now.  My two cards went from $500-$1500 after three months-$2000 after 6 months and $2250 after one year.

If you're Cap One is $300 and your Credit One is $300 why are you upset that your Amazon is $700?  That just raised your available credit by 116%.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.