Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Discover Card

tag
joanie74
Established Member

Need help with Discover Card

Hi,

I just recently wrote to Discover Card and asked them if I paid off my card could they remove all negative data from credit report.  Their response was that everything listed on the report is accurate and by law they are required to report all accurate info to the credit bureau.  Is it illegal for them to remove it?  If it's not illegal, how should I respond?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Need help with Discover Card

@joanie74 wrote:

Hi,

I just recently wrote to Discover Card and asked them if I paid off my card could they remove all negative data from credit report.  Their response was that everything listed on the report is accurate and by law they are required to report all accurate info to the credit bureau.  Is it illegal for them to remove it?  If it's not illegal, how should I respond?

Thanks!

This is a fairly common response to PFD requests and GW.   Many companies don't routinely agree to these ~ my advice would be to just keep trying.

How late is your account with them ?  Is it charged~off or in collections ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 9
joanie74
Established Member

It's neither charged off nor in collections, but I've had a bunch of late payments reported to credit bureau. My thinking was that I would pay it off, still keep the card, but get the lates taken off. Am I just spinning my wheels?
Message 3 of 9
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@joanie74 wrote:
It's neither charged off nor in collections, but I've had a bunch of late payments reported to credit bureau. My thinking was that I would pay it off, still keep the card, but get the lates taken off. Am I just spinning my wheels?

So they haven't closed the card yet ?   I guess it just depends on how much you need the account to be in open, in terms of helping your revolving utilization versus how much the lates are hurting.   How many lates are showing and what is the severity ? 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 9
joanie74
Established Member

There's only two lates that occurred in 2010.  They occurred in November and December....30 day and 90 day.  I moved around that time and wasn't thinking clearly.  My fico scores are Transunion 555, Equifax 611 and Experian 633.  Just wondering if I should try to get it off before I pay off the entire balance or is it just a waste to fight it.  What do you think?

I'm also not understanding why my Transunion score is so much lower.  My goal is to get up to 700 so I'm trying every legitimate thing that I can think of to get it up.

Message 5 of 9
joanie74
Established Member

Also, I can take or leave the Discover Card but will choose to keep it  open because I don't want my score to go down.  

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While they are incorrect in asserting that they cannot legally delete accurate information, the bottom line is that dont have to delete, and deletion of accurate information can certainly be argued to not be in the interest of preserving the integrity of the credit reporting system, blah blah blah.

You are in effect asking them for a GW deletion, and arguing with them about whether or not deletion is illegal serves no purpose other than to reduce their feeling of good-will.

I suggest you "respond"  by finding someone else to pitch your case to.... preferably a management official who has the authority to do more than parrot the normal company line.

Message 7 of 9
joanie74
Established Member

Gotcha!  I am going to write a letter to them and see what happens.  The first correspondence was via email.  I'm thinking that a letter will catch their attention more.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With Discover it's all a matter of finding the right person at the right time. I made multiple attempts to pay off a judgment they had against me directly with them as they were reporting I only owed them around $500, but the (collections) law firm representing them was insisting I owed $4500 and wouldn't budge an inch. What finally worked was using the structure they use for employee email addresses and trying multiple combinations the names of both the president and CEO in an attempt to break through the front line. I finally got one through to the CEO that was fieled by one of his assistants stating the matter was to be handled through their lawyer. Bingo! Opening found. Long story short, They transfered the file to another law firm who gladly accepted the aprox $500 and agreed to sign the paperwork and court orders to have the judgment vacated Smiley Very Happy (found a provision allowing that in the state's law). They did however stick to their guns about not removing the CO status, but I didn't pursue that fight since it was going to drop off in less than a year and I did get a judgment removed.

Get creative in your approaches and try unconventional means to break through the front line scripted response people because you just might find somebody in a position to make that call that doesn't deal with the consumers every day who may be receptive to your request... stranger things have happened.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.