Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with PFD letter

tag
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Need help with PFD letter

I had a purse stolen back in 2008 and did not know I had put a stop pay on a check that I actually wrote: the lawyer stated if he received the police report he MAY consider reducing the amount. Does this make ANY sense? I am just stuck on how to do a PFD and reduced amount .. letter writing I not my best feature; Do I keep it personal or business ? Me My ADRS Him His ADRS Dear MR. Such and such, I have, on many occasions, spoken to you regarding the post on my CR for $343.00, you were both kind and patient with me. As Per our conservations I explained I was the unfortunate victim of theft for check # 5467 for the original amount of $88.00 I have enclosed a copy of the police report per your request. I would like to settle with your law firm for the original amount of $88.00 with the agreement you will delete the TL from my CR. If you agree to this please notify me at the above address. I will in turn send payment, by cashiers check, with in (10) business days. Thank you for your time, Sincerely, Me I welcome all advise, !!!! I just am not sure how to word this..also only have IPAD..is hand written ok? Robert, if I get the opportunity to have you read this....thanks in advance..
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help with PFD letter

You would be forgoing your rights under the identity theft provisions of the FCRA by settling the debt.

By simply sending a copy of the police report to the CRA, you can get the information related to the identity theft blocked from your CR.  FCRA 605B.

You can additionally send a copy of the police report to the credtior, and demand under the provisions of FCRA 609(e) a copy of all business records in their possession relating to the unauthorized use of your account or any transactions made without your authorization.

If, having been advised of the identity theft, they fail to hold that you are not responsible for the debt, you can use the information obtained from them under the provisions of section 609(e) to initiate civil litigation.  Check out your state statutes for protections upon notification of a creditor of identity theft/unauthorized use of your account.  Your state consumer protection bureau would be a good place for advice.  It is not your debt.

I would not advise paying the debt.

Message 2 of 3
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Re: Need help with PFD letter

I put a "stop-payment" on a check I actually wrote so shouldn't I actually send in the amount of $88 for services I,myself received? I am NOT going to pay the $343 that's ridiculous. I did not think to send a copy of the police report to the CRA but I will do that..thanks for advise
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.