Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with Portfolio Recovery Associate issues

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with Portfolio Recovery Associate issues

Hello everybody,

My husband and I have had some serious bumps in the road but are finally doing better and trying to clean our credit up so we can qualify for a mortgage. I just got my report from Experian and Portfolio Recovery Associates has bought several older negative accounts and now they are listed by both the OC and PRA. I can't tell the date that the OC listing was due to be removed from my report because now it just says "purchased by another lender" in the area that would have a removal date. How can I know when it will come off?

So, now do I pursue removal with the OC's and Portfolio Recovery Associates? I understand that PRA are difficult to work with, if anybody has any insight or suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thank you so much.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help with Portfolio Recovery Associate issues

You would have to deal with the OC and Portfolio seperately.  Since the OC has sold it, they have nothing to do with it.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

This may be a crazy thought, but since they sold it, received $ for it from PRA would it be absurd to write them and ask them to remove it? Since it is now reporting thru PRAs?

Message 3 of 5
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This may be a crazy thought, but since they sold it, received $ for it from PRA would it be absurd to write them and ask them to remove it? Since it is now reporting thru PRAs?

Nope, they will tell you they are required to report it as still, I'm assuming the OC has it reported as a charged off (sold to PRA). You will have to deal with PRA and they don't do PFD, they might sound like they do but they don't. I tried for almost six months dealing with every VP at PRA, no luck, I settled for 5% of my balanced owed, and now i'm waiting for it to fall off in 2015.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 4 of 5
kittywitty
Contributor

the oc must report balance as 0 and better check your reports and make sure the collection is not being listed as an open tradeline. look for the word open account or payments rec'd, the pay status will say in collections. then check all 3 reports to see if the name changes a little bit and one might have a different address, that would be a collection account for the bogus account. they are manuiplating credit scores and many people don't even know it. they are not allowed to report as a lender because they are not a lender but they seem to be doing it to many people. there is another thread on here about it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.