Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a confusing account dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with a confusing account dispute

So here is the situation, when I went away to college in 2006 my Mom opened a credit card under her name. She put my name on the account as a "user" so that I could use it for "emergencies". Well, I never got a card and I found out recently the account was closed as she was 120+ deliquint. I have good credit, all except for this one account. As I'm trying to buy a car this is a bit of an issue. Can I dispute it to get it removed? Is there another process to handle this?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Need help with a confusing account dispute

Welcome to the forums,

Have your mom contact the CCC and remove you name as an Authorized User.

Also, request that they delete the account from the AU's CR.

After this CC is deleted from your CR, you should see a raise in your FICO score.

you can  dispute as "not mine" with the CRA's, but I would try the CCC first.Smiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Need help with a confusing account dispute

I would not recommend disputing an AU account as "account not mine." 

If you dispute as "account not mine," you will, of course, be accurate.  It its inclusion in your CR that is the issue, not your responsibility for the account.

AUs are not reported to your credit file as an account for which you are legally responsible.  Your credit file has ECOA codes for recording your responsibility for an account, such as single account holder, joint account holder, or guarantor on an account.  AU "accounts" have no such reporting, and have never been asserted by the reporting party as being an account with you, unless they have incorrectly reported an ECOA code with such a representation. 

Any dispute as "account not mine" would, in my opinion, have no reporting inaccuracy as a basis.

Get your AU status revoked.  The real issue is their, in my opinion, questionable policy of permitting the reporting of accounts that are not yours to your CR.  They would not have to delete unless instructed to do so by the furnisher of the information.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.