Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a judgement!

tag
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

Re: Need help with a judgement!

This helps me a ton! Thank you!

One question: How do I prove that I was never served? I mean couldn't they just say that they served me? I can prove that I was not living in the state any longer so I guess that would work, right?

What a pain in the a**!

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 16
guiness56
Epic Contributor

In all the court documents they have to have something with a signature saying where and when and by who you were served.

Message 12 of 16
Give_Me_Credit_Please
Regular Contributor

Guiness56 is correct. When they serve you, they need your signature, and since you nevered signed anything plus you have proof that you reside elsewhere, I believe that is proof enough. Good Luck!!

Message 13 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The case would not have proceeded to trial had the record not shown some evidence of proper service of notice to the plaintiff.

It is in the court record.  That does not mean it was proper service, but the record will show that someone convinced the judge that it was.

The requirements for proper service vary widely by jurisdiction, and one cannot assume that signature acknowledgement of receipt is required.

Circumstances may have permitted notice by publication.

Before asseting to the court that you were not properly served, I would advise going to the office of the clerk and reviewing the court record.

I would determine from the record what was accepted by the court prior to challenging the court's acceptance.

Message 14 of 16
sarahcatherinemay
Regular Contributor

Re: Need help with a judgment!

I got in touch with the courthouse in NJ - they are showing that I was served to my old address (no response from me obviously) but whoever lived there never even bothered to write Return To Sender on whatever was sent. I am going to see if the post office has records that far back showing that I did file a change of address form with them before I was supposedly served papers. The court clerk said that the post office only forwards mail for about 2 months, and it's very possible that by the time I was being sent all this stuff, they were no longer forwarding my mail to my new address.

I went ahead and satisfied the judgment with the collection agency/attorney's office - Pressler and Pressler - and am waiting for a letter stating satisfaction in full. I was not able to get them to do a motion to vacate, so it looks like I will be doing that.

I am really hoping that even though the courts accepted their method of service, I can prove that I wasn't notified or properly served and get this vacated! For a judgment less than $200, I am sure most people wouldn't just let that happen! SO frustrating.

Fingers crossed xx

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: EQ Fico 766 | TU Fico 715 | EX Fico 753
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
SHuck

Re: Need help with a judgment!

if you cant prove your case then you can call the nail salon and ask them if you prove the payment was satisfied will they file to have the judgement set aside. taking back the judgment and allowing it to be removed from your cr.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.