Regular Contributor

Need help with a judgement!

Hi,

I am just getting started on my credit rebuilding process - I am not proud to admit that I let my credit score plumet after my divorce when the bills were just over my head and I have not bothered to check my credit in YEARS! I was extremely surprised to see a JUDGEMENT on there for $191! After some research, this is what I found out Long story short, I was living in New Jersey for work and before I moved, I went to a nail salon to get a manicure and pedicure. I wrote a check for the amount and didn't think more about it. The nail salon did not deposit my check for over a month after I went there and by that time, I had already moved and the account was closed. (Commerce Bank was not in WA state where I was moving home to) So the nail salon sued me for a $70 check. No joke. I never got a single piece of information letting me know about this - they didn't forward any of the legal paperwork to me. No notice at all! A default judgment was awarded and I now have an unpaid judgement from 03/2007 on my credit report. I want to pay this and have it removed, but I'm not sure where to start or what to do! Any help or suggestion would be appreciated! Thank you all so much!

Starting Score: 585
Current Score: EQ Fico 699 | TU Fico 677 | EX Fico 698
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Epic Contributor

Re: Need help with a judgement!

You can pay it and probably get it vacated because you were not served.  It needs to be done through the state that entered it.

Regular Contributor

Thank you Smiley Happy Should I get in touch with the attorney or the nail salon? I can't believe that I didn't know about this for so long.

Once it's paid, I should contact the court that the lawsuit was through? Is there a way to do it if I am no longer in the state that the judgment was (NJ)?

I am very new to all of this, so thank you for your patience with me!

Epic Contributor

Contact the court who entered it.  The judge there is the only one who can have it vacated.

You can call the court and tell them you were never served.  If it is vacated it isn't owed to the court.

Once that is done, I would contact the OC and offer the original amount.

Regular Contributor

Okay, so just to make sure I understand - contact the court first, right? They can obviously see that I was never served (or if they tried, I never got a single thing). They will help me with trying to get the judgment vacated.

And then pay the Original Creditor? Thank you for all your help!

Epic Contributor

They should get it vacated if you were not properly served.

How old is this debt?

Regular Contributor

Re: Need help with a judgment!

Judgment is from March 2007 - so almost 6 years old.

If vacating is unsuccessful, will it come off my credit next year or does it stay on there for 10 years? I want to pay it either way because I don't want something on there like that & I'm trying to get my score up!

Epic Contributor

Re: Need help with a judgment!

New Contributor

Yet another reason why I dont write checks, good luck with your battle. : )
Regular Contributor

@Sarahcmgreen   I live in NJ and I can offer you a little insight. The court is suppose to serve you or send you a certified letter to appear in civil court to prove your case, but in your situation, you nevered received any order to appear in court. What you have to do is either call or go to that County Superior Court(civil division) where it was filed at (whichever county the salon is in) and request for a motion to vacate the judgement.

They'll give you a packet to fill out and return back to them. If you send by mail, make sure you send it certified. Once they receive it, they'll determine if you have legitimate reason to vacate or make a new court date for you and the salon. If you decide you wan to settle and pay it, you can do so with the court and request for deletion on your CR. I hope that helps!!

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.