Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with citibank and Northland group on how to move forward

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with citibank and Northland group on how to move forward

I had a credit card with citibank, but due to financials I couldn't pay them (or be on the streets) Anyway, the card went into default at teh end of 2008 with only a small balance.  i tried to contact citirecover (the only number I have) and the recording said that no citi employee could tlk to me because they referred the account to Northland Group in MN.  I contacted Northland who is willing to offer a settlement amount or payment in full but said they cannot delete any info on the credit report because they did not post it.  then they sent me anothe email stating that the only negotiations they are willing to do is the settlement or payment in full but no deletions.

actually only want the lates removed and the chargeoff wording.

should I pay in full and write a GW or try to find a backdoor in citi recovery to detrmine if they are willing to negotiate.

i really really  really need my score cleaned up and want the best possible solution, even if it means taking slower actions.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help with citibank and Northland group on how to move forward

Omega900,

I also had a credit card with Citibank that went into default (lack of knowledge about the account). I disputed through both Citibank and Northland Group in April 2007 (after receiving a collection letter). Northland Group was only willing to work out a settlement arrangement. I paid the settlement (May 2007) not knowing about PFDs or even this forum. I pulled my credit report (Feb 2010)... Transnuion lists the account as $0 Balance, payment after chargeoff/collection and 0 late payments; Equifax and Experian both lists the account as $0 balance, Bad Debt/Collection and 12 late payments.

I mailed off dispute letters to the CRAs as well as Citibank 2 days ago disputing the late charges (especially the 6 late for the months after May 2007 when payment was received by their office May 14, 2007). I also highlighted in the letter that the payment statuses for Equifax and Experian should be updated as well to at least reflect payment after chargeoff/collection instead of bad debt/collection (as this status is reg flagged on my Equifax credit report). I will let you know what the results are once I receive a response, hopefully!!! I hope that I made the right decision in disputing this or if I should have just let the account fall off in 7 years. My credit score, at least seems to not have been affected too badly by this 2007 collection... hopefully it won't be after the disputing process.

Any advice at all???

Transunion  779 as of 02/28/10

Equifax 798 as of 02/28/10

Experian Plus Score 703  as of 02/28/10

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.