Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with old account

tag
dude11
Regular Contributor

Need help with old account

Hi everybody - I used to have an old cap one card that I opened in 06 and closed it on 08. I made on time payments except for one month. Because of the 30-day late payment this account is listed as a negative account on all of my 3 credit reports. Like a lot of people I disposed of the card and any statements associated with it after I had closed it.

I now would like to send a GW letter to Cap one in the hopes that they can remove this one 30-day mark but I don't have the account number. I called them and they did not see the account that was closed on their system. Only my two new accounts. I tried contacting TU in the hopes they could provide me with it but they couldn't. So I checked my CRs I received from annualcreditreport.com (as some people have suggested) and the last 4 digits are masked.

I can't seem to get a hold of my old account number through Cap one, credit reports, and CRBs. Does anyone have a backdoor number to Cap one where I might be able to get my old account number? Does anyone have any other suggestions? What if I just dispute the late mark, would that work?

Thank you all in advanced.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
kjm79
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help with old account

Couple of options, leave it alone if it's one of your older accounts.  Disputing might erase the whole account if it turns out they can't locate it.  If the account was closed in 08, then the account is at least 3 years old and isn't doing to much damage to your scores.  Or call one of the CRA's and pay the $11 for the full reports that shows everything in your credit file.  That should have the account # in it and then go from there.   

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 2 of 6
dude11
Regular Contributor

Purchased CR from Equifax as mentioned and nope, full account number is not there. Last four are masked. Oh well I'll just let it be. Thanks for helping out though.

Message 3 of 6
takethat
Valued Member

If you don't mind the entire TL being removed, all you have to do is contact the creditor and say you would like the account removed because it is no longer in the system. I had this done with one of my accounts, and since the account had a negative status, was closed, and could no longer be re-opened, I just had them delete the TL.

Starting Score: EQ 618
Current Score: EQ 653, TU 674, EX 633
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

froRe: Need help with old account

You can get, directly from the CRA, any information reported to your credit file.

Just send them a letter under FCRA 609(a)(1), along with proof of your identity (particularly important to get the blocked account numer in your normal CR), identification of the information you request, and the current processing fee under section 609(a)(1), which is $11.00.  The CRA is required to fill your request.

Message 5 of 6
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: froRe: Need help with old account

What is the processing fee situation??????  Why would they have to pay 11.00??????

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.