Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with the process of removing collections

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need help with the process of removing collections

Hi there this is my first post in the forum! My husband and I want to buy a house in the near future but our credit issues from 09' are haunting us.  How do you go about removing collections from your credit report? A few collections are currently reporting while a few haven't been reporting for a couple year but are still showing up with balances on my credit report.  Is there  step by step process to address these collection companies in an effort to get them removed from my credit report and move forward with the loan process? 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
js0319
Established Contributor

Re: Need help with the process of removing collections

Welcome! As a start, I would suggest reading the stickies at the top of the rebuilding section. Usually FHA lenders do not want to see any collections over $1k, so take that into consideration. Also, the more recent the collections are the more they are affecting your scores. First thing is identify the lowest hanging fruit that will also put you within the parameters for the mortgage lenders. The process is going to vary from person to person. 

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Need help with the process of removing collections

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there this is my first post in the forum! My husband and I want to buy a house in the near future but our credit issues from 09' are haunting us.  How do you go about removing collections from your credit report? A few collections are currently reporting while a few haven't been reporting for a couple year but are still showing up with balances on my credit report.  Is there  step by step process to address these collection companies in an effort to get them removed from my credit report and move forward with the loan process? 

Are they still within SOL for your state?  Do you dispute any of them?  Are they paid? 

If they are paid send GW letters,  if your ultimate goal is their removal, offer a pay for delete.   

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.